Project Pair Softtop: interior work - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 21st, 2005, 05:17 AM
Feraltracker
Kim Piddington
S3 88 in bits

Smile Project Pair Softtop: Custom interior work

Hi All

I am working on two landrover project rebiulds , One 88 inch & one 109 inch , both are made up of s2, s3 & defender parts & panels, both truck cab traybacks in a softtop version .
Both interiors are bare metal & I am looking at custmizing the interior, I would like to know what others have done to spruce up there softtop landy ?

Thank You
Feraltracker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2005, 08:30 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
have the inside sprayed with a bed liner like rhyno lining or another brand. very durable and does not scratch like paint. IT also insulates from road noise and can be washed out with a hose..
Old November 21st, 2005, 09:34 AM
Feraltracker
Kim Piddington
S3 88 in bits

Hi Randy

Thank you for the imput but I was looking at something a little more up market, like marine carpet, vinyl ,timber or something else you guys or girls might have used that I have not seen

Feraltracker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:37 AM
cdmbrennan
Chris Brennan

Kim,

it's quite popular in the UK to cover the rear body on the inside with chequerplating- I'm attaching a picture as well. In the States we only have the diamond plate (that I've seen), but this could be done equally as well.

I'd recommend against timber if you're planning on playing in water- marine carpet might be a good solution but I haven't seen any that really holds its color for more than a few years- particularly the black.

Lowes or Home Depot sells a grooved rubber matting material that would work nicely as well- I've seen this as an application and it looked good as well.

cb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_037.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	4337   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture03.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	4338  

Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:33 AM
Feraltracker
Kim Piddington
S3 88 in bits

Hi Chris

The checker plate looks really great & it was one of the things that I was looking at using for the Alloy traybacks to cut some weight down. I seen the same thing with marine carpets that you are talking about but Dupont released new carpet over here that they say fixed the fading problem but we will have to wait & see if it is as good as they are saying .
As for timber I have done a few timber trays for 4x4 & light truck over the last few years that weathered really well using Norseal marine wood preserver & Northane clear 2 part polyurethane
The finish is as tough as nails & near on water proof

Feraltracker
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:18 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Call it boring, but I prefer the thick rubber matting that came with the Defender. It helps against heat, but can be removed easily unlike Rhyno or other spray-ons. The checker plating gets hot, is a rather hard surface for passengers, and can scratch certain load items you may periodically haul. Besides, the rubber mats look very purposeful.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:25 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Rubber mats stop noise and stuff sliding about.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:25 PM
Monkeyboy

A workshop mat from Lowes is ~36" wide and 2 fit nicely in the back of the 109.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-20787-0516836
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:32 PM
Feraltracker
Kim Piddington
S3 88 in bits

Hi Guys

I agree totaly with what you are saying about rubber matting but I think you are missing one thing about these's landdrovers, there is No back on them, they are truck cab the body finish's behind the front seats, then there is just a alloy or steel or timber flat tray, I will be making rubber mats for the trays, to protected & to stop gear sliding abut the tray .
The cab is a small area But I want make it as comfortable as I can, becourse I will be spending a lot of time in them
Once again Thank you for all your imput & keep it coming

Feraltracker
Old November 24th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Feraltracker
Kim Piddington
S3 88 in bits

Hi all

So far we have only talked about a flooring, I am really interested to know how you have customizing the interior of your LDs, like seating, consoles, rollbars, storage, elecronics, lighting & dash

Feraltracker

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
interior