Project Aadvice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 26th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Gardner
Gardner Congdon
'84 RHD D90 300Tdi

Project Aadvice

Howdy all-
I'm getting geared up for my next little project with the 90 and would like some advice. Kind of getting ready for a full exo cage and am planning the following in preparation:

Alpine window seals- these don't leak, but look like they will disintegrate at any moment. Can anyone recommend an affordable source for these?

Top- Depending on what I can find price wise, I'm thinking about having the top painted to color match the body (Alres blue). This is solely based on threads I've read here suggesting the exo cage might look a lot better if the top is color matched to the body. The top doesn't appear to leak (I never see any water behind the headliner), but is there anything I should do while it is off? I am thinking about lining it with Noise Killer or something similar, again price dependent. I'm planning on replacing the headliner material myself as it is sagging all around.

Tub cappings- I've got 2 new capping pieces ordered as mine are rusty and leaking- AMN711200 and AMN711210. I believe these will be arriving in black primer of some kind. What's the best approach with these- strip and galv, or is the new primer and modern paint effective at keeping these from rusting out? The other capping pieces look to be in perfect shape, so I'm not replacing those. Honestly, I'd prefer the painted look over galv, but not if they are going to rust out within 5 years.

More on cappings- Do people use some kind of body sealer in addition to the LR body gaskets when reinstalling these? If so, can someone recommend a good one?

I should mention that this is an '84 that will never be a garage queen. Anything I do to the rig is intended to LAST and look good, not to convert it to brand new or better.

Many thanks for any input!
-Gardner
Seattle, WA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2010, 07:47 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Unless someone did a color change on your 90 I doubt it is arles blue.

The proper color should be Stratos blue
Old November 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Gardner
Gardner Congdon
'84 RHD D90 300Tdi

paint

Thanks Dave- I think you're right- Stratos/Tasman Blue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Gardner
Gardner Congdon
'84 RHD D90 300Tdi

color

There's no paint code on my plaque under the bonnet and I ended up buying some Stratos/Tasman blue from TCP. Bad guess. Turns out it is Marine Blue.
Any thoughts on why the paint code isn't there?
Thanks,
-Gardner
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:10 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Back in the '90s when I refurbished my IIA I installed the Alpine windows with rubber molding from JC Whitney. There is a tool for installing the keeper strip, but I just bought a giant cotter pin (big enough for the strip to pass through easily), bent it "just so," and stuck it into a piece of dowel for a handle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions