Progressive Coil Springs (SG ) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 9th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Progressive Coil Springs (SG )

Does anybody have experience ( recommendations ) on the Safari Guard progressive coils?

I like the idea, but not so sure about them.

Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Wondering the same thing.
Also wondering if anyone has order these since Safari Guard has reorganized.
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:05 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
I have them on my 90. Seems to be well balanced front to rear in terms of spring rates... none of the unloading I've encountered with previous OME setups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2009, 08:29 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
How do they ride compared to the OME's?
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowdungbeetle
I have them on my 90. Seems to be well balanced front to rear in terms of spring rates... none of the unloading I've encountered with previous OME setups.
Carter,

What size do you run? have any other mods made to use these? I mean relocated shocks, different bump stops, etc?
Did you put an extended shaft ( if so what lenght and from where ) ?

Thanks for your input
Old April 10th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I don't know anything specific to SG, but if you have never run a progressive or two rate spring, they are way better than a standard one. The stock or replacement ones are much too stiff for most wheeling. They do that for a host of reasons, but this is a much better option.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 10th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I don't know anything specific to SG, but if you have never run a progressive or two rate spring, they are way better than a standard one. The stock or replacement ones are much too stiff for most wheeling. They do that for a host of reasons, but this is a much better option.
Could you elaborate as to what else needs to be done using these springs? I am looking at 2 or 3".

I've gotten mixed info.

Some said, lower the shock mounts and you increase 6 " of travel, without anything else

Some said, lower the shocks, new bump stops and change the shaft.

Some said, lower shock, bump, shaft, spring retainer. ( others said cones ) ( other said trailing and radius as well )

I am a mild wheeler, I keep my sway bars on, so not sure which way to go.

Thanks in advance for the input
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier

If you are going to keep your sway bars on, I wouldn't worry too much about gains in suspension travel, because the axle articulation will still be severely limited by the sway bars. You may want to at least consider sway bar disconnects..

Old April 10th, 2009, 08:31 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Could you elaborate as to what else needs to be done using these springs? I am looking at 2 or 3".

I've gotten mixed info.

Some said, lower the shock mounts and you increase 6 " of travel, without anything else

Some said, lower shock, bump, shaft, spring retainer. ( others said cones ) ( other said trailing and radius as well )

If you run a 2" spring and the 10" shock you dont need spring retainer or brake lines with the stocker shock mounts. With the 2" spring you may or may not have driveline issues. I ended up with adjustable rear links that helped. I still have some vibration. You can lower the shock mounts and run a longer shock, rockwares setup come to mind but you will need a new brake line in the rear. You will most likely need rear links drive shafts with the 3" springs not to mention the castor issues with either the 2" or 3". Its hard to beat a stock Defender, what are your intentions? Lastly the rear sway bar is useless, i did no miss it when I took it off my stock set up. I ran with no sway bars for a little while when I did the OME, but it wasnt safe enough to run on the interstate, it is out of control if you make a "high speed maneuver". Some people may have other opinions but I was driving my truck a lot on the interstate at the time..
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:07 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Quote:
Carter,

What size do you run? have any other mods made to use these? I mean relocated shocks, different bump stops, etc?
Did you put an extended shaft ( if so what lenght and from where ) ?

Thanks for your input
I want to say they are the 2" version.... I have SG Stage III rear shock mounts and links with 14" shocks raked ~35 degrees forward, and 12" shocks in the front mounted vertically. I've got slightly longer bumpstops, and a SG 3-link up front.. Still running stock driveshafts front and rear. Also have spring retainers.
Old April 11th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:

I've gotten mixed info.

What size tire do you want to run and what is a mild wheeler? Some of us can help, but you'll get a ton of terrible advice without specifics.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 11th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

All springs are progressive the last time i heard!
The hype behind progressive springs is nothing but snake oil!
Best way to set up your suspension is with spring rates, shock (dampening/rebound) & sway bar / bushings combo!
Old April 11th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Departing90
All springs are progressive the last time i heard!
The hype behind progressive springs is nothing but snake oil!
Best way to set up your suspension is with spring rates, shock (dampening/rebound) & sway bar / bushings combo!
You didn't hear right.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
What size tire do you want to run and what is a mild wheeler? Some of us can help, but you'll get a ton of terrible advice without specifics.
My bad.

Current 265/75/16..... next 285/75/16.
Mild wheeler for me is some green and blues. I might adventure down the road to more ( when my driving qualifications improve ) .
In other words, I don't want to do the set up twice but I don't want to do an Extreme either.

( I know ( well I think ) I can do OME 764/781 and achieve 3" and all I need to do is get a different shaft and be done ( maybe I am wrong ), and keep my Bilstein on it or get OME shocks as well )
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:22 AM
weissbrewer
Stephen Johnson
94 AA D90

I am running 4 inch which really ends up being 3.5. great stuff, had to do shock mount drops and did double cardons front and rear. Rear sway bar was removed and then put back on, too much camber in the roads here and didnt like crabbing at 55. No problems with castor or brake lines yet, but really like the ride and performance of the product. They are softer than the ome that was on the truck.

1982 Series 3 HCPU gone but missed
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by weissbrewer
...too much camber in the roads here and didnt like crabbing at 55. No problems with castor or brake lines yet, but really like the ride and performance of the product. They are softer than the ome that was on the truck.
You can't change camber on a live axle......

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Mild wheeler for me is some green and blues. I might adventure down the road to more ( when my driving qualifications improve ) .
In other words, I don't want to do the set up twice but I don't want to do an Extreme either.
Then do nothing. A 90 does not need a lift. You don't need to do things just because other people do or it sounds cool.
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
My bad.

( I know ( well I think ) I can do OME 764/781 and achieve 3" and all I need to do is get a different shaft and be done ( maybe I am wrong ), and keep my Bilstein on it or get OME shocks as well )
Hey,

Your tire of choice is a 33x11in tire. It will fit without any lift. It would look funny with a 3in lift. I wouldn't do anything at all to it. Drive it and see what you don't like. Then fix that. For the most part, the shock and cone advice here is way off. Cheers

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
I see you have never jumped your 90......

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:15 AM
weissbrewer
Stephen Johnson
94 AA D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90

Follow-up Post:

Then do nothing. A 90 does not need a lift. You don't need to do things just because other people do or it sounds cool.
TOO MUCH CAMBER IN THE ROADS NOT THE SUSPENSION :o0

Spend some time on Maines back roads, lots of camber/crown ;o)
ie riding the center line so your passenger is not six inches lower than you. no rear sway bar and sudden moves in those conditions may lead to the posterior preceeding the anterior, no fun reconnectedthe sway bar

1982 Series 3 HCPU gone but missed
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:27 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
My bad.

Why not just get a set of 2' or 3' Rovertym springs.. they are great and ride better then any OME spring ever made. I can not comment on the SG springs. I never had them. The RYM springs are progressive as well.. I recommend the RR4 in front and the RR3 in rear.. Give them a call and talk to them.. IF you want to run 285's, I would do the 2".
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Quote:
You didn't hear right.
Fair enough.
Prove me wrong??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coil