Progressive Coil Springs (SG ) - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 13th, 2009, 09:18 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Why if you have no idea what you are talking about do you post?
It is the interwebs.
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
It is the interwebs.
True! I don't know why I care...

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC22958
So has anybody tried the new springs from SG???
I would like to get a 2" lift on a new Defender Tdi in the garage. The 3" for the front and 2" for the rear sound like they would be nice. RTE has the 3" progressive for the front but not a 2" for the rear. That is the set up I am running on the trail Defender Tdi and it has worked out really well. So my question would be why should I change a good thing? Would the progressive springs on the rear be that much better?
A two tier or progressive rate is very, very nice for going fast over bumpy terrian. But it all depends on how you have your suspension set up. In short, nobody knows.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
1) Belief in the veracity of your own claims is not sufficient to render them true. The difference between other responders and you is expertise. We know these guys have a lot of knowledge and experience in what they are talking about. From your posts here we know you can disassemble a 90 and allegedly differentiate between real and fake breasts.
2) You do not entitled to exact a higher standard from others than you observe yourself.
3) There remains a large gap between "reality" and your "belief." If you think you can be of assistance, then assist - don't just mince terms and offer simple contradictions.
Jim,
I am sorry that you feel this way and still see the need to pick on me on a serious topic!

I posted up that all springs have a progressive affect! I was questioned & my rebutted was to ask for proof!
I really cant see how anyone can be more to the point or fair!

I have stated facts & have yet to be proved wrong by anyone!
My progressive & linear spring argument stands!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
It is the interwebs.
Exactly my point!

Follow-up Post:

I have read both your links at length and am sorry to say they proove nothing!

The first link makes no mention of linear springs & only explains the theory behind progressive springs!

Your second link is a general copy & paste job explanation! It simply explains the manufacturing differences between linear & progressive springs!

Quote:
Why if you have no idea what you are talking about do you post? Why would you keep posting when you have not even done the smallest amount of any research on this topic? I don't understand people like you.

Here: http://stockcarproducts.com/spgtech.htm It proves you wrong.

"If a spring's rate is linear (most racing springs have linear rates) its rate is not affected by the load put onto the spring. For example, a linear rate spring rated at 500 lb. per inch will compress 1" when a 500 lb. weight is placed onto the spring. If another 500 lb. weight is put onto the spring the spring will compress another inch. At this point the load on the spring has increased to 1000 pounds. The rate of the spring, however, remains constant at 500 lb. per inch."

Here: http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/lowering-springs.html

The second one is a really dumbed down explanation, so I suggest you start with that. There you go. Now please post up YOUR proof of how there is no such thing as a linear spring, and especially how my explanation is incorrect:

Linear springs DO NOT have a progressive rate. If you have a spring with a 100LB rate, it will compress 1in for every 100lb placed on it. 100=1in. 200=2in ect, there is no progression.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Departing90
I have read both your links at length and am sorry to say they proove nothing!

The first link makes no mention of linear springs & only explains the theory behind progressive springs!

Your second link is a general copy & paste job explanation! It simply explains the manufacturing differences between linear & progressive springs!

You are fucking retarded.

You -->The first link makes no mention of linear springs & only explains the theory behind progressive springs!

Right at the top of the first link--->"If a spring's rate is linear (most racing springs have linear rates) its rate is not affected by the load put onto the spring. For example, a linear rate spring rated at 500 lb. per inch will compress 1" when a 500 lb. weight is placed onto the spring. If another 500 lb. weight is put onto the spring the spring will compress another inch. At this point the load on the spring has increased to 1000 pounds. The rate of the spring, however, remains constant at 500 lb. per inch."

you---> Your second link is a general copy & paste job explanation! It simply explains the manufacturing differences between linear & progressive springs!

You are trying to argue that there is no such thing as a linear spring. How the hell can someone explain the manufacturing difference between a linear sping and a progressive spring if there is no such thing as a linear spring?!!? One again, you are fucking retarded.

That is all, I'm done.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:07 AM
jabber
m j

Sasha... JFGI!!!! (just fawking google it)

Your logic is flawed, and a simple search on the web will explain it...

I don't know that much about this topic... but after reading a few links, I get the general idea. Hell, even safari gard's site http://www.safarigard.com/store/prod...roducts_id=124 does pretty well to explain the difference between linear and progressive coils.
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:15 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

All I have to say is DON"T FEED THE IDIOT errr TROLL. As for the spring discussion so far I've learned a lot keep the info flowing.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old April 14th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
All I have to say is i DON"T like girls & love boy on boy homo sex
WTF dude!! Keep that BS to yourself!
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:46 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

The biggest advantage I can see with the progressive coils in the front is their higher speed bump taking ability. The bumps get soaked up smoothlyand (dare I say it?) progressivly. Second is their ability to droop out and stay in place allowing the spring to work the entire range of travel. A nice fit for a front spring.

A progressive for the rear would probably work nice in the rear in the same circumstances though I suspect you would get a fair amount of "Trophy Truck Body roll" on around town corners. Depends a lot on the rate and the dampening of the shock.
A local mistakenly put some SG progressives on the rear of his Disco, the street handling was "interesting" to say the least.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

You have resorted to profanity because you cannot prove your case! You might actually impress a few people with your BS on springs! Why do you keep posting the same repetitive 5001b BS example!

All springs have a progressive affect to them. That is a fact that you have yet to prove otherwise!

Go learn about springs & then come back to me!

Quote:
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:04 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by revor
A local mistakenly put some SG progressives on the rear of his Disco, the street handling was "interesting" to say the least.
That's what I would be worried about. A nice side effect of stiffer springs is less body roll. I guess you would almost be forced into running anti-sway bars if you ran these at 4 corners on the road.

Sounds like the recommendation is just up front? Obviously it's completely up to the conditions you intend to use them in (making it so difficult to discuss ), but for a weekend wheeler, otherwise daily driver truck sounds like progressives up front and linear in the rear is advised?
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:34 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
JimC; you have the patience of a saint...
Actually I don't - Dude gets 5 days in the penalty box.

Old April 14th, 2009, 11:54 AM
ThorRRC
Todd Pfortmiller

I've run the SG progressive coils in a SG stage III set up for several years, in fact I bought the rig that way. I find them much more manageable on the road than the OME MD set up on my old 1995 RRC (sorry no 90 here), and off road they droop way more, and as mentioned with the progressive rates high speed fire road bumps that used to make my sphincter grab leather, don't anymore because I know the higher spring rate will catch me before bottoming on the bump stops.

This is how I've been 'splained 'bout springs.... sorry if I'm sticking my nose too far in for a new poster.

Linear: 100 pounds / inch, 100 pounds compresses the spring 1 inch, 200 pounds compresses the spring 2 inches, 300 pounds compresses the spring 3 inches. When placed on a graph the line is straight or linear. So 400 Pounds yields 4 inches of compression. 4 inches of compression takes 400 poinds.

Dual Rate: Kinda like 2 springs in one, 100 pounds compresses the spring 1 inch, 200 pounds compresses the spring 2 inches. CAUTION this gets crazy here.. we've compressed through the 100 pound per inch coils now were in to the 200 pound per inch coils. So add the next 200 pounds and we've got another inch of compression. So 400 pounds yields 3 inches of compression. But 4 inches of compression would take 600 pounds.

Progressive Rate: Like Infinity springs! There is no set rate per inch, the first inch may take 50 pounds to compress, the second inch may take 100 pounds to compress, the third inch may take 200 pounds to compress and the 4 inch may take 400 pounds (holy mother of all that is holy). So in this example 400 pounds yields 3.25ish of compression. and 4 inches of spring compression would take 750 pounds!

I have found in cornering my rig with the SG progressives, you turn in and once the higher rate coils 'catch' you, it is pretty easy to hold a nice curve... no anti-sway bars of course.

I hope this lesson is helpful.... and correct.... hell I'm just trying here!

Hi Keith!
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:15 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Departing90
You have resorted to profanity because you cannot prove your case! You might actually impress a few people with your BS on springs! Why do you keep posting the same repetitive 5001b BS example!
Oh for fucks sakes buddy. Drop it. You are making a complete fool of yourself.

You are just plain WRONG and it is getting quite tiring listening to you. This is frickin first week engineering school stuff. I've been a mechanical engineer for 20 years. Since you don't WANT to learn, you'll just have to trust me that you are completely and totally WRONG.
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:32 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorRRC
Hi Keith!
Oh no!!!! Next you'll be on Expo!!!

He's a stalker I tell you!!

Hey Todd, I heard you're looking to put on some new tires? what are you doing?

Oh back to the post..

Provided that the spring rates suit the truck a set of these RTE or SG Progressives in front and a set of linear rate springs out back would suit most folks on the weekend wheeler. They are very comfortable in the front of my 110.

Old April 14th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
So should I get them? *LMAO* j/k
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
Yes,

Report back.

In all seriousness, it depends on what you want the truck to do. It's a personal decision. I have two stage springs all around and would not have it any other way. But what I ask my rig to do is radically different than most and I mounted a custom sway bar to deal with the rather epic body roll.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 14th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
No, based on what you want.

Quote:
Current 265/75/16..... next 285/75/16.
Mild wheeler for me is some green and blues. I might adventure down the road to more ( when my driving qualifications improve ) .
In other words, I don't want to do the set up twice but I don't want to do an Extreme either.

You do not need any lift at all.

IMO, 90s do not "need" lifts. Stock clearance is adequate. Lifts just make them less stable, which is bad. If you were going to 35s, then 2 or 3" maybe, but that is it.
Old April 14th, 2009, 03:06 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

EPIC!!! Body roll..

I like that

Old April 14th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I am sorry , I guess my last post was a joke ( obviously not a good one ) based on the approach This Dude took .

Sorry.

I appreciate all the input given

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coil