problems with front end - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 25th, 2005, 04:01 PM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

problems with front end

I do not know how to describ my newest issue. Other then in a sentence.

When I turn to the left (meaning heading left) I get a slight jerking or shaking in the steering wheel. When I turn to the right its a little less. It has not done this until I went into an apartment complex and went over two small speed bumps. Once I left I felt it. Almost feels like the power steering isnt working correctly. But it works no harder or easier. There is notthing when I am driving over 50 or anything in a straight line. Only when turning more then half cranked on the wheel. Not 100% hard turn but more then 50%. There is no noise at all. Just a slight shimmy maybe and only when turning.

Does any of this make any sense?

Could it be a tired balance issue?
Power steering issue?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance
Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Could be any number of things in the left side, mostly in the steering knuckle, which is what I would suggest inspecting first.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 25th, 2005, 05:00 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

It kind of sounds like it might be the tie rod ends (ball joint ends of the steering links). I don't know though, that's just a guess without having felt/seen it.

I would grab ahold of the steering links and give them a good shake to see if any of the ball joints are getting worn out. Also, check the rubber boots for cracks or cuts that would let water/dirt/mud in.
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2005, 05:50 PM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

Cool and thank you. I checked that and see one that could have a small tare in it. Its the rod that is in front of the axel on that side of the truck. Doesnt look like much but could that be it?

Thanks again in advance and hope everyone has a great weekend.

Larry
Old August 25th, 2005, 06:05 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

That may or may not be it, it depends how bad the joint is inside of the boot. If it has enough play in it, it could be a factor.
Old August 25th, 2005, 06:12 PM
redrover

When you say half cranked I am assuming you are making a slow turn. Like in a parking lot or turning onto a new street. At a slow speed it could be something other than ball joints. I would expect a ball joint to cause some wobble in a staight line. Uneven worn tires can wobble at any speed. A broken tire belt could wobble. Also jack up front and turn steering to where you felt the wobble. Then rotate tire and feel if there is binding. If your swivel housing was out of lube or had water in it, your cvs may be binding. And to add to list wheel bearing could be way loose or toast.

PS do like deep water and mud holes? Jp

And one more PS Make sure you High Low selector isnot in the left diff lock position, this would also cause a similar feeling.
Old September 11th, 2005, 12:31 PM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. Work sucks sometimes and lately its been all the time.

Checked all that. My mechanic checked everything with linkage and said the bushings for the Tie rod are bad and it is moving slightly or you can make it move. DOES not look like its hitting on anything else but that be causeing the issues? It is making a click sound now which is even worse. Almost like something is binding but its here and there, never at the same time. More of less when the road is at an angle, or a bump when turning. How do I check the lube or do I just add more?

As for the water well about a month ago I drove through quite a bit. 2-4 feet deep flooded road. Enough so that the exhaust pipe. was under water and it came in the doors. Sounded like a boat for a day or so but other then that nothing major. I will have him check the lube in everything just to make sure.

Nothing wobbles in a straight line or anything and the noise only happens every once in a while.

Thanks,
Larry

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
problems