Problems when it rains... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 27th, 2014, 02:45 PM
neilraymondjr
Jed Raymond
1994 NAS D90

Problems when it rains...

I have a 94 NAS D90 that seems to hate the rain. Here are the symptoms:

1) It starts and runs find in the beginning.
2) After a few miles or so, if I come to a stop, and put it back in gear to move again, the rpms drop and the engine sputters then stalls.
3) the ensuing effort to get it going again is fruitless. It turns over, but never catches. If I didn't know any better, it feels like either engine is flooded, but I don't think that's what's actually happening. My suspicion is that something is keeping the combination of oxygen and fuel from getting where it needs to be in order to respond to the throttle pressure from a stop.
4) After the truck stalls, it needs about an hour or so of sitting quiettly, then it will start right up. This is the part that reminds me of flooding problems.

Rovers North in VT suggested the distributor cap. I've seen other thoughts that it may be the resistor servicing the EFI wiring harness. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Just to be clear, this only is an issue in the rain, and for whatever reason seems particularly troublesome when strong winds are a factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2014, 03:25 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I experienced the same issue years ago. It was a crank sensor that had cracked from the heat and allowed water to seep in.
Old October 27th, 2014, 03:30 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilraymondjr View Post
Rovers North in VT suggested the distributor cap.
I've seen more than one rover V8 get condensation/moisture in the cap from driving in heavy rain, and exhibit these symptoms. Easy enough to 'pop' the cap off when its doing it and see if there is moisture in there. If so get a genuine replacement (and a rotor too)..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
You could have a bad connection somewhere and the rain is just making the problem worse. A basic tune up is a good idea if you don't know the service history, but really you're just guessing. Any check engine light?
Old October 27th, 2014, 08:52 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

As jimmy says.. Basic engine tune..cap, rotor, wires and plugs.. A bad cap or rotor or wires can cause exactly the symptoms you are describing with the extra moisture allowing the spark to jump to ground instead of going through the spark plug.. Basically, the spark is about as lazy as Pedro and will do anything to get out of doing its proper job and takes the easiest way out..moisture allows this to happen..
Old October 27th, 2014, 10:33 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

I might double check the main ground wire where it attaches to the frame too. Detach, scrub away any corrosion, reattach.....
Old October 28th, 2014, 01:38 PM
neilraymondjr
Jed Raymond
1994 NAS D90

Nope, no Check Engine light
Old October 28th, 2014, 02:26 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I would recommend using a dielectric grease on the spark plug wires and the coil wire particularly where it mates with the coil

I don't know why the distributor cap/rotor needs to be genuine. But it does. I have had several aftermarket caps and none of them have worked well for me. Strange, strange, strange...
Old October 28th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post

I don't know why the distributor cap/rotor needs to be genuine. But it does.
Definitely true.
Old October 28th, 2014, 07:55 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

I have often found the aftermarket rotors allow the spark to go right through the centre to the dist drive post..
Old October 29th, 2014, 02:36 AM
gravitysucks
Andy
94 D90

Registry
Mine did the same a while back, turned out it was the ignition amplifier. It's bolted to the side of the distributor and was fairly easy to diagnose. I picked up a relocation kit and haven't had any problems since.
Old October 29th, 2014, 08:01 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

Just for future reference that ignition amplifier is just an ac delco part and can be bought at any parts store for like $12 for the cheap one and $36 for the premium one... It's the same as goes in many Chevys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
problems