problems leveling D90 with OME Suspension - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 17th, 2011, 10:44 PM
mrossi
Mike Rossi
1995 D90

problems leveling D90 with OME Suspension

I recognize that no D-90 sits the same, but I am having a hard time trying to figure out whats gone wrong with a OME suspension upgrade. I've got a 1995 D90 ST. I have replace the Suspension with OME751 HD springs in the front and OME764 ST springs inn the rear. At this point the truck is actually sitting higher in the rear than the front (I have not even mounted the Mantec Bumper with Husky Winch yet). Even the guys at Rovers North are puzzled. They recommend that I install the HD springs in the rear as well because they are slightly short in overall height... go figure!

Ant idea's or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2011, 03:33 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Shim the front. Once you have the truck all set up, measure the amount you want to raise the front and cut some aluminum spacers to put under the spring plates. Add longer bolts and Presto! Levelness.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 18th, 2011, 07:50 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
751 front 764 rear. I ran the taller 751s on front no sure if that's a PS or DS handed spring with those rubber shock tower rings. Shorter 764s on the rear. I don't recall which "side" is taller. My truck sits pretty level front to rear side to side is another issue, I just gave up. U
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2011, 08:00 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
In the future, just get Rovertym Springs. You can't even compare the quality
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:05 PM
mrossi
Mike Rossi
1995 D90

At this point i might be throwing out the OME and trying Rovertym. Ugh! Seriously, Is there a chance that the Springs have a quality control issue???

As for the height... The 764's are actually taller (I assume that accounts for the compression ratio of the SD vs. the HD) I have double checked the sides (A vs. B). They are correct per OME. I'll try just about anything. Can someone point me to "shims"?
Old March 18th, 2011, 11:24 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

How much higher is it in the rear?

Call ARB and talk to them before you anything else. They will know. HD in the rear is only recommended if you plan on having a MINIMUM constant load of 440 lbs. I have the same set up as you (MD in the rear, HD in front), recently installed and it sits a little bit higher in the rear. I don't mind. It makes me feel better about fully loading it for trips.
Old March 20th, 2011, 05:33 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

OME HDs always sit higher in the rear when the truck is unloaded. I think mine has about a 1in rake to it.
Old March 20th, 2011, 03:45 PM
mrossi
Mike Rossi
1995 D90

The rake is only half the issue. I have uneven height side to side as well. We'll see what ARB has to say on Monday. Thanks for the responses.
Old March 20th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Keeping an eye on this as my son and I just finished installing an OME lift this weekend on his Disco and now the drivers side sits over an inch high at the front. It was 5/8 with the factory set up. Not sure what we did wrong but..................????
Old March 20th, 2011, 06:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

tell your son to gain weight. They are supposed to sit level left to right with the driver in the truck.
Old March 21st, 2011, 05:58 PM
mrossi
Mike Rossi
1995 D90

Found half of my problem. When installing the springs, I was misinformed by RoversNorth about "A" vs"B" springs. I had both "A"s on the Drivers side. I spoke to ARB - they explained that I have to swap the rears.
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:00 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

For the benefit of everyone here would mind telling us what ARB told you when you spoke to them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrossi
Found half of my problem. When installing the springs, I was misinformed by RoversNorth about "A" vs"B" springs. I had both "A"s on the Drivers side. I spoke to ARB - they explained that I have to swap the rears.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:38 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

I don't get why OME "sides" their springs. Most aftermarket spring makers don't. It's goofy enough that LR does it. When I ordered my springs for the RRC I specified matched, not sided.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:55 PM
mrossi
Mike Rossi
1995 D90

In speaking to a technical engineer at ARB, he explained that that "A" springs (the taller one's) get mounted on the Left-Front and right-rear. The"B"s (shorter ones) get mounted on the Right-front and Left-Rear. This is how Land Rover does it at the factory as well. They clan the design is based on the fact that this supports a "typical" load under normal circumstances better than if all springs were the same height. Either way, that's how the springs are designed. ARB also explained that the suspension is designed to have a slight "rake" built in. Under full capacity load the truck will obviously level out. If the HD springs are installed, they should not sit any lower than the SD springs simply because they just won't compress at the same rate.

Hope that might help someone out there who runs into the same issues...
Old March 26th, 2011, 10:52 AM
FortyTwo
Chris
1997 Defender 90 SW

My OME problem seems to be the opposite of what some of you are seeing. Looks like my drivers side front sits a bit lower than the passengers... I guess I need to check to see if they were installed on the correct sides.
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:37 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I was wondering if anyone has any pics of this mod?
i'd like to try and level out my 110 double cab, which sits a noticeably higher in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888 View Post
Shim the front. Once you have the truck all set up, measure the amount you want to raise the front and cut some aluminum spacers to put under the spring plates. Add longer bolts and Presto! Levelness.
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The Tdi is a completely different beast. The only way I have been able to level mine correctly is with a 3" progressive on the front and a 2" hd on the rear. The last time I used the adjustable shock towers on the front so that I could match the droop front to rear. The truck sits completely level front to rear, Tool box in the rear and winch and bumper at the front.
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Is it just the weight of the tdi?
The hd in back would obviously be higher than medium, right.
I kinda liked the simple spacer under the front spring perch.
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I remember when I first installed springs in my D90, I put them on wrong and put the rears in the front and the front in the rears. The front was like 3 inches higher than the back. Then when I finally put them in right a week later, it sat correctly and was a little higher in the rear like it was suppost to. But then as the years went by it started to sag a big especially after I installed the amps/subwoofer or when a passenger was in there so a month ago I installed in OME HD springs. Now its normal again. The only time I had a problem with leaning was on my 110 a few years ago. PS and DS are suppost to be swapped if its a left hand drive. Course nobody at BP bothered to tell me this until after I put them on and was wonder why the hell it was leaning to one side.

Robert Deniro
Old January 14th, 2012, 06:00 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
What about using something like this?
Just 1" on the front

http://bputah.com/Disco%20Parts/Land...ng_Spacer.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Land_Range_Rover_Classic_Discovery_Defender_Spring_Spacer_A.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	46139  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, problems