Problem with Engine cutting out - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:07 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Problem with Engine cutting out

Lately, I have begun to have trouble with the engine cutting out when i come to a stop sign/stop light. And every now and then it is pretty hard to start back up. I wonder if it could be the fuel pump or something else before i burn the starter up on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:34 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

It could be allot of things. Have you checked the fuel filter lately? More info would help, like is it raining, hot or cold, highway, anything that you could think of, also any work done lately?
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:04 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Try cleaning the steppor motor at the rear of the plenum. Those are classic signs you described of a dirty or steppor motor that needs replacing. I replaced mine on my rangie with a NAPA part. Also check the T pipe. It is a plastic T pipe toward the front of the engine with rubber lines on it I think it has somthing to do with vacum or something. Sorry I cant be more specific I am trying to recall this off the top of my head. Also check out www.rangerovers.net or .org John Brabyns sight. Even though it is Range Rover specific alot of the info is the same for Defenders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:44 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
It did it today almost every time when i am coming to a stop and take it out of gear. When i would downshift reguarly it wouldn't do it as often, but after driving in town with frequent stops, and harder stops, it would just cut off. It did it earlier on a hill at a stop light and i barely got it running.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:45 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Also, the exhaust smells like the engine is getting to rich a mixture of gas. Maybe to much gas is getting pumped in and stalling it out. It could be a number of things.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:06 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Could it be a cracked/weak vacuum advance tube on the distributor? May as well check it to make sure it has good connections and is sucking well.

The motor in that year used a distributor I think - dunno for sure cuz mine is all electronic.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 04:49 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I had the same problem a year ago. Try running a can of BG 44K Advanced Formula through your system.

It worked for me:

http://www.bgprod.com/bgprofessional.../autofuel.html

It's about $20 for an 11oz can/bottle, but its well worth it.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:01 AM
Berty
Brett Hurrell
D90 Hardtop 300Tdi

Quote:
Originally posted by kellymoe
Try cleaning the steppor motor at the rear of the plenum. Those are classic signs you described of a dirty or steppor motor that needs replacing. I replaced mine on my rangie with a NAPA part. Also check the T pipe. It is a plastic T pipe toward the front of the engine with rubber lines on it I think it has somthing to do with vacum or something. Sorry I cant be more specific I am trying to recall this off the top of my head. Also check out www.rangerovers.net or .org John Brabyns sight. Even though it is Range Rover specific alot of the info is the same for Defenders.
Kevins got it spot on imho.

Use an aerosol injection system cleaner or carb cleaner.
With the engine running remove the thin hose from the front of the plenum & spray a good squirt of cleaner in. You may need to manually rev the throttlle linkage to stop it stalling as the revs will drop off. After about 30 seconds the revs should pick up to a high idle & then settle down.

Its also worth spraying all round the butterfly valve & air meter.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine