Problem changing steering ball joint RHD 110-advice appreciated - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 10th, 2014, 07:48 PM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Problem changing steering ball joint RHD 110-advice appreciated

I'm replacing the ball joint kit on my steering arm and I'm having a problem. When I turn the wheel, the ball joint is putting downward pressure on the spring, plate, and c clip and popping it out. The first time was user error, second time though I am pretty sure I had the retaining clip in completely. Here are my thoughts on why it's not staying, appreciate anyone else's experiences. I am attempting this with the steering arm still on the box, on the truck.

1. Retaining clip is not seated because plate and spring need to be pressed further to get a better clip seat.(thinking I may attempt to use a c clamp or something to compress the internal spring more to try the retaining clip again)
2. Spring position- should the wider part of the ball joint spring be flush with the lower ball joint lower seat or reverse. Exploded view looks like the wider part should be facing downward and flush with the plate.
3. Groove for the retaining clip is no longer strong enough to retain the clip and I have to replace the arm completely.

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. My next avenue if I can't fix it is to take it to a very qualified, local, and expensive shop.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2014, 08:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Buy a complete arm.
Old May 10th, 2014, 10:44 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Buy a complete arm.
From Will Tillery. He had new ones when I needed one. Better price than anyone else I could find in the states.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2014, 11:03 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
Complete arm doesn't help as I'm sitting on a $55 kit but I complete arm would be cheaper if I cans get it off the box.
Old May 10th, 2014, 11:06 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Don't quote me, but I think that is about how much a paid for the arm.

I used the "heavy duty" puller from autozone. Worked great. You can hit the puller with a hammer and the arm pops right off.
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:31 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
Appreciate the ideas, went at it again with a lot more thought about the position and placement of each piece, along with compressing the bottom plate considerably. All is well, however the lower boot retaining spring is poorly designed and doesn't hold for shizzle. Good thing this is a short term fix until winter and LHD conversion.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, advice, rhd