Priming Oil Pump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 28th, 2004, 01:09 PM
chrism
Chris Musni
1996 Range Rover 4.0 SE

Question Priming Oil Pump

We're replacing the oil pump/front cover on my 4.0 SE. The FSM pretty much covered all the steps exept for priming the PUMP. I've heard about packing the pump with Vaseline, Just trying to find out if there are other alternative priming procedure that anyone knows of out there. Thanks for your help.
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

This is from a friend -- haven't actually done this myself: "Remove the oil line from the bottom of the engine (this is the oil pump output). Spin the engine with the starter motor a few seconds at a time until oil comes out of the line. May take a few tries."

DW
Old April 28th, 2004, 05:28 PM
chrism
Chris Musni
1996 Range Rover 4.0 SE

Thanks, I read something that described the same method. We will definitely try it. I appreciate the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2004, 03:53 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Either pack the pump with vaseline and turn the engine over as normal or f you're worried about the bearings running dry (and you should be)
whip the distributor off and get an electric drill down the hole to spin the pump gears without turning the egine over. you'll need to make up some sort of shaft to fit in the drill that mates with the slot in the pump shaft.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions