Prime Oil Pump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 11th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Bajaboss
Peter K
1994 D-90 ST

Prime Oil Pump

Hey guys,

My '94 Defender had been in storage for a couple of years and I went to go start it recently and it would seem that i'm not getting any oil circulation through the engine. Oil pressure light is on and rockers were ticking. I only ran the engine for less than a minute so hopefully no damage was done. I've done some research and it looks like i'll need to prime the oil pump by packing it with Vaseline.

Can anyone provide me with some steps to get this done? Which parts of the pump to pack and how much Vaseline to use?

Any insights are appreciated, i'm looking forward to getting the truck back on the road.

Thanks,

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2013, 01:40 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
It's a bit messy but but Vaseline is the way to go.
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 11th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajaboss View Post
Hey guys,

My '94 Defender had been in storage for a couple of years and I went to go start it recently and it would seem that i'm not getting any oil circulation through the engine. Oil pressure light is on and rockers were ticking. I only ran the engine for less than a minute so hopefully no damage was done. I've done some research and it looks like i'll need to prime the oil pump by packing it with Vaseline.

Can anyone provide me with some steps to get this done? Which parts of the pump to pack and how much Vaseline to use?

Any insights are appreciated, i'm looking forward to getting the truck back on the road.

Thanks,

Peter
you take the pump cover off. Recollection is there are about 6 bolts with 8mm heads. Once the gears are exposed pack everything with vaseline, There is a spring loaded relief valve if you are not careful the bits of that will fly everywhere. Once you have packed it and re-assembled everything pull the coil wire so the engine cannot start and spin the starter. I usually pull all the plugs so the engine can spin as fast as possible with minimal load. Do not do this in bursts but rather keep spinning it until the light goes out. You are trying to create a hydraulic vacuum and if you do it in bursts the oil falls back to the sump. I have had to spin engines over 90 seconds before.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2013, 03:12 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
It's really easy. If you look at the pump from underneath you will see what looks like a bolt head. IIRC it's not any of the banjo connections. When you unscrew that, a bolt looking thing will come out with at least a spring and maybe a ball bearing - don't recall. Either way, just jam in vaseline into that hole, then refit the bolt and fire her up.
Old October 11th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
It's really easy. If you look at the pump from underneath you will see what looks like a bolt head. IIRC it's not any of the banjo connections. When you unscrew that, a bolt looking thing will come out with at least a spring and maybe a ball bearing - don't recall. Either way, just jam in vaseline into that hole, then refit the bolt and fire her up.
that would be the relief valve with spring and piston. I haven't had much luck with that method but it is definitely simpler.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 11th, 2013, 03:25 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah worked for me but YMMV. I second pulling the coil wire initially just in case.
Old October 11th, 2013, 04:29 PM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
I second the rebuild. The other thing worth looking at is the pressure relief valve. I did a front end rebuild and i found the relief valve to stick occasionally when while putting it back together. I used a very fine grit sandpaper and polished it up. It made a material difference on the movement in oil pump cover. No oil pressure issues at all.
Old February 16th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Bajaboss
Peter K
1994 D-90 ST

Okay guys, i finally got around to working on this. I went with cgalpin's suggestion to pack the relief valve with vaseline.

After packing the pump, I pulled the fuse for the fuel pump and cranked the engine for about a minute. I then put the fuse back in and fired her up for real. I now have oil pressure (oil pressure light is not illumiated anymore), however the engine is making a ticking noise and when I take off the oil filler cap I can clearly see that the rocker arms are not getting any oil pumped to them.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? Any chance that the vaseline clogged something along the way?

I don't want to run my engine in this condition, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old February 16th, 2014, 06:13 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
If the light lights up before you start it, then goes away, then have confidence it's pumping. The tick will go away but make sure you are not using too heavy a weight of oil for the ambient temperature.
Old June 21st, 2015, 03:40 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Found this thread while searching for options as I have the exact same issue. at a friends suggestion I ended removing tye oil pressure switch, installing an adapter and under pressure pumping oil in filling up the filling up the pump , filter, cooler lines, cooler and sump. Tookall of 5 minutes And it was my 1st time doing it! Im still getting no oil circulation And suspect the relieve valve is stuck open.
Old June 21st, 2015, 06:26 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

This is a freshly rebuild engine so I suspected everything for not getting oil pressure.

Took off tye dizzy cap to make sure rotor turned
Took off oil pump cover to make sure tye gears turned
replaced oil pickup gasket
with grinding paste seated the relief valve piston just to make sure
run compressed air through oil pickup / pump
checked head gaskets orientation
changed 2 different oil filters
pumped oil into oil pressure sensor opening "30psi" and oil dripped down from the top but not through oil pickup
buttoned eveything back up, primed the oil pump and replaced the oil preasure sensor with a manual gauge and again 0 oil preassure
started smoking again after giving up

Im into this mess for 2 solid days now. Getting ready to pull the engine when it occured to me to double check the trimming cover gasket. Its was tye wrong one! A local vendor that shows a composite cover gasket being the same on the classic, defender, disco 94-04 and a paper one just for tye defender. I got the composite as its a superior material to tye old junk. Tye parts #s ERR7280 & ERR4936. My fault completely for not double checking when I installed it!!

At least I found the problem. Will change the cover gasket tomorrow with the correct one and report back......
Old June 22nd, 2015, 10:43 PM
Gabriel_Laconi
Gabriel
1992 Rangge Rover

I have had some good luck priming the pump by filling it thru the upper oil cooler hose. Just fill it with a small funnel until it pours out and start the engine. Watch for the light to turn off and should be good...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions