Price on a radiator recore -thoughts? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 25th, 2012, 08:04 PM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Price on a radiator recore -thoughts?

I got a quote from Grove radiator in Neptune to do a recore with a an additional row or/wider recore for 550+taxes. Thoughts on the deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2012, 08:24 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

For your original engine or the Tdi that you are putting in?
Old April 25th, 2012, 09:58 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Daniel had a deal on radiators made in the city for a fair price. Send him a message. He might be having another one done for his 300 tdi conversion.

Old April 25th, 2012, 10:00 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
They were $700 to $900 I think. Check threads started by ini88
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I just paid $550 with a very good radiator shop I trust to recore my TDI radiator to the max and do the tropical mod. It was some of the best money I have spent so far. My 2.8 was a little more than it was designed to handle, and it manifested on the highway on long trips when it was warm out (75+). You can't have too much radiator with an aluminum head. Now, my temp won't go over 180F no matter what I do, and it still warms up quick since the thermostat controls that part. I am a happy camper.
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:58 AM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
For your original engine or the Tdi that you are putting in?
Nah, for the LS2 . . . .
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'm tempted to try aluminum radiator next time. Anyone else gone that route? Suggestions and recs welcome

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:09 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I'm thinking about this too.

After last year's AWFUL drive from Outer Banks back to DC in 100+ heat having to run the heater just to keep the needle out of the red, I might not have 100% efficiency in my current radiator...

Can you elaborate on the "tropical mod"?
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:13 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Matthew - I might be going down this same road soon (there is a thread someplace where my truck was running warm on idle). Did you pull your radiator out and bring it to them? Any idea of how good their work is?
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
I'm thinking about this too.

After last year's AWFUL drive from Outer Banks back to DC in 100+ heat having to run the heater just to keep the needle out of the red, I might not have 100% efficiency in my current radiator...

Can you elaborate on the "tropical mod"?
For last two years, in spring, summer and fall, I was just like you, running heater on long drives in the summer with A/C on. Not anymore.

I'm going to do a writeup on this soon and take pics of the old tdi radiator I pulled out so you understand it. The tropical mod was something I read about on a S. Africa forum. There is an engineering oversite in the TDI radiator, suspected by me, confirmed by many in SA, as well as my highly competent radiator shop. If you remove the plastic or brass plug on the LHS coolant tank that the hoses attach to and look down, you will see that there is a baffle (hole) that runs straight through to the bottom. The mistake LR made is that hole is too damn big. What happens is that as coolant pours in from the top hose, ideally it would be forced to travel along the top of the core to the other tank (RHS) drop down and be forced to return along all the coolant veins back to the LHS tank and exit on the bottom hose back to the pump, much cooler along the way. That big baffle allows hot coolant to bypass all the veins and go straight down to the LHS tank to the exit/bottom hose, never having been cooled. The faster you go, the more that bypasses as the flow through the radiator veins can't keep up and gives slight resistance forcing more through the bypass baffle. As my radiator expert put it, "it's way too big!" He said it should have some (like a 1/4") but not that big 3/4" hole. This would become evident running in the summer on the highway at hi speed, when the pump is running at full speed and engine is putting max heat out.

My shop not only replaced the core with a much, much larger one, but reduced the baffle size to a pencil sized hole. Now my core is flush with the tanks on both sides, still fitting in perfectly, but using all the available space for more veins. when I compared it to the OEM radiator I pulled out, I was amazed at how wimpy the OEM core looked. At hi speed, adding more core limits the resistance available to the baffle, and adds way more cooling surface.

One thing my shop did as well is match the recore to purpose. He said that the spacing on the veins that LR put in the OEM radiator was well spaced to match rugged, muddy dusty off highway environments like commercial equipment. He asked me how much off roading I was going to do, and said if you are going to get it muddy and dusty, you don't want to go with really close veins as they clog easy off highway. He found something in the middle and it proved perfect so far.

On the highway, I would spend the majority of time watching my coolant temp gauge. Now I only look at it to reflect on what good money I spent on the recore as well as when I can turn my heater on when there's a chill out in the morning. I'm thinking about swapping my coolant gauge and my EGT, so the EGT is in the dash, and the coolant is in the muduk pod. I don't need it in plane sight anymore.
Old April 26th, 2012, 07:35 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
Hey Don. I pulled the trigger with the wider core and I'll have it back next week. I'll buzz you if you want to swing by and take a look at the finished work.

Mark, do you know of this is the same on NAS radiators? I'm going to give the radiator guy a call to see what his thoughts are as well if this is also prevelant on the NAS rad.
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:01 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flananuts View Post
Hey Don. I pulled the trigger with the wider core and I'll have it back next week. I'll buzz you if you want to swing by and take a look at the finished work.

Mark, do you know of this is the same on NAS radiators? I'm going to give the radiator guy a call to see what his thoughts are as well if this is also prevelant on the NAS rad.
Thanks - please give me a shout when you get it - I'd love to take a look at it and see/ask you questions on the procedure.
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:14 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Just got a "genuine" for my V8. Seems to cool well even with a non functional fan clutch in 75 degree weather. I will have the original recored and compare and contrast.
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:27 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

This is what I found on a quick google.
http://www.google.com/search?q=land+...w=1157&bih=671
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:39 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
I relayed the thoughts on the baffle size in the 3.9 to the radiator guy. He's going to get back to me on what he sees when he pulls it apart.

Stay tuned
Old April 30th, 2012, 11:03 AM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

I'm seriously considering a re-core on mine for no other reason than its 15 years old and mights as well do it before the South Texas heat really kicks in.
But....
Has there been any more ideas on to keep the oil cooler or not?
Old April 30th, 2012, 11:25 AM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
So I'm keeping the oil cooler in line, putting in new lines from the sandwich plate, plus I'm going to put new oil gears that are larger than the stock ones for more pressure. I'll be sure to post pictures of this setup and benefits once the engine is back together.
Old April 30th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Gibraltarjim
James
lightweight 200tdi conversion

Standard rad is 240 euros locally or 110 uk pounds plus shipping if that helps?
Old April 30th, 2012, 01:13 PM
owen
Owen Jones
Yellow`95 D90 ST #2188

Registry
I had a re-core using a Desert Cooler core with an extra row - cost $650 here in Denver. Original core had what looked like calcium buildup in the tube ends.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:23 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
I just got some pics of the project including the oil cooler before and after. When I pick up tomorrow I'll post all the pics he took for me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, radiator