Price on a radiator recore -thoughts? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 26th, 2012, 11:05 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Matthew - did you ever get confirmation on the NAS radiators and the need (or lack of) for a tropical mod?

Also, to the OP question, I priced this out at my local (very knowledgeable) radiator shop. He lamented the costs of brass, and the hazardous material hassle of lead.

He then quoted me $500-$600 for just the materials! He looked up the book rate for the labor and came up with 3 hours (at $95/hour) - so I'm looking at almost $1K for this little project. Seems pretty steep considering I know someone who paid $500 out the door in Los Angeles.

Is this on par with what you guys are seeing, or is this off the charts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

My recore was $320 but that was with a 20% discount because our mine uses the shop for our rebuilds for the fleet we have. Seems to be better but my issue was the coupling after all my monkeying around.
Old June 27th, 2012, 12:24 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

My Tdi runs fine temperature-wise, even in 100 degree weather, until I turn on the AC and drive city traffic. The cooling fans will pretty much run constantly after that, even if I get out and run it 65 MPH, or even shut off the AC.

A radiator shop here in Austin that does a lot of custom work is having a new five row radiator fabricated for my Tdi. A place in Dallas builds it to their measurements from my radiator, then they transfer the fittings from my radiator to the new radiator. The price was very reasonable, at least compared to what I've seen thrown around on this forum. I'm not sure about the quality yet - I should have it back Wednesday or Thursday. I'll post some pics if anyone is interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2012, 01:13 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Is five core too many? Thought after four you might be counter productive because with so many layers it is harder for air to go through.
Old June 27th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
My recore with the tropical mod and major increase in veins was about $500 out the door. After several weeks of 90+ and a 2x 3 hour trips on the highway with AC blasting, the temp gauge has not gone over 180 one SINGLE time! I'm now officially ready for the Sahara. Probably the best and most effective mod I have done so far. If I had done this a long time ago, I probably would have prevented my cracked head and blown turbo.

BTW, $1k for a recore IS off the charts.
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:00 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Is five core too many? Thought after four you might be counter productive because with so many layers it is harder for air to go through.
The fabricator in Dallas swears by them in his Jeep, and the shop here says they'll cool about anything. I was told that they're stacked like this:

o--------
--o------
----o----
------o--
--------o

I plan on swinging by the shop today, finished or not, just to take a look. With the 105 degree weather we're having here, I'll be able to run it through its paces. Worst case, it's a learning experience - it wouldn't be my first.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, radiator