Defender Source Forum banner

Price of paint?

Tags
paint
5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  MUDSUX 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am getting ready to paint my 110 and in looking for a local supplier, this is the quote I got. I am planning to paint with PPG Concept. I am only doing the lower half (inside and out). Does this seem reasonable or am I getting completely ripped off? Thanks in advance!

1) DPLF Epoxy Primer:

PPG.DP50LF Epoxy Primer $51.05 (quart)
PPG.DP402LF Catalyst $29.30 (pint)
PPG.DT885 Reducer $20.85 (quart)

2) DX and the SX1005 cleaners:
PPG.DX330 $38.95 (gallon)
PPG.SX1005 $35.20 (gallon)

3) PPG Concept single stage urethane paint, catalyst and reducers:
1 Gallon PPG Concept $307.45 (Trident Green used on 1982-1990 Land Rovers)
1 Quart DCX61 Catalyst $100.95
2 Quarts of DT895 Reducer $41.70

See less See more
#3 ·
Forrest

Those prices are not out on line. I just painted a Series 88" pick up and used the same product. I also got some metal prep that I wiped all the aluminum surfaces with before applying the epoxy primer. In a clear bottle and looks orangish. I can get you the info on it. I have painted alot with out using it but I think it helps the epoxy adhere to the aluminum better.

Good luck!

Troy

#5 ·
I used PPG Concept to paint my truck. The prices look to be about what I was paying, but not sure about the quantities. I did my whole 110 in two coats of Sandglow with less than 2 quarts (once you reduce a quart goes far). A gallon of paint seems a bit much to me, especially since the paint covers very well.

#6 ·
@Paul - I prefer the color of your bulkhead! Very nice.

@Troys - is that the self etching primer I keep reading about? My local paint guys says the DPLF primer should be fine for aluminum. He didn't mention anything about prepping the aluminum for the primer. Please let me know what your product is. Thanks

@RiftRover - Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure how much paint to get. I was going with a gallon so in case I have to order more I wouldn't have to worry about color matching later. They say they mix the color to order. I am going to ask to get them in individual quart cans to avoid the hassle wasting paint. I am doing everything myself and was going to paint in sections, in between weekends, and I hate having to reseal used paint.

#7 ·
Bare aluminum should be painted with a non-hexavalent chromium conversion coat prior to application of paint. Alodine 5700 for example.

On large applications of paint over bare aluminum without conversion coating, you will get "sheeting" or strip removal of coating due the intermediary oxide layer that forms between the aluminum and primer.

If you are painting over an existing factory paintjob on the aluminum panels, most like you do not have to apply a conversion coating as the factory used one prior to paint.

Any specific reason you're not using a clearcoat?

#8 ·
The aluminum conversion coat on the 2A's Birmabright from the factory survived the recent chem strip.

#9 ·
It's not bare aluminum. The tub is NTO 2008. I just roughed with 400 grit. No real reason for not using clearcoat. I am not a painter and have no experience. Was told single stage will do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.