Price of paint? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 5th, 2011, 05:33 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Price of paint?

Hi Everyone,

I am getting ready to paint my 110 and in looking for a local supplier, this is the quote I got. I am planning to paint with PPG Concept. I am only doing the lower half (inside and out). Does this seem reasonable or am I getting completely ripped off? Thanks in advance!

1) DPLF Epoxy Primer:

PPG.DP50LF Epoxy Primer $51.05 (quart)
PPG.DP402LF Catalyst $29.30 (pint)
PPG.DT885 Reducer $20.85 (quart)

2) DX and the SX1005 cleaners:
PPG.DX330 $38.95 (gallon)
PPG.SX1005 $35.20 (gallon)

3) PPG Concept single stage urethane paint, catalyst and reducers:
1 Gallon PPG Concept $307.45 (Trident Green used on 1982-1990 Land Rovers)
1 Quart DCX61 Catalyst $100.95
2 Quarts of DT895 Reducer $41.70

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2011, 05:52 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
(Trident Green used on 1982-1990 Land Rovers)

Nice Color! The price for the color seems about right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8316.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	44452   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8315.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	44453  

Old December 5th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Forrest

Those prices are not out on line. I just painted a Series 88" pick up and used the same product. I also got some metal prep that I wiped all the aluminum surfaces with before applying the epoxy primer. In a clear bottle and looks orangish. I can get you the info on it. I have painted alot with out using it but I think it helps the epoxy adhere to the aluminum better.

Good luck!

Troy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

It really depends upon the quality of the job you want. Automotive paint is expensive for the good stuff. You can get a single stage paint but it will still cost you over $400.00 in materials.
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:14 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

I used PPG Concept to paint my truck. The prices look to be about what I was paying, but not sure about the quantities. I did my whole 110 in two coats of Sandglow with less than 2 quarts (once you reduce a quart goes far). A gallon of paint seems a bit much to me, especially since the paint covers very well.
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:19 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
@Paul - I prefer the color of your bulkhead! Very nice.

@Troys - is that the self etching primer I keep reading about? My local paint guys says the DPLF primer should be fine for aluminum. He didn't mention anything about prepping the aluminum for the primer. Please let me know what your product is. Thanks

@RiftRover - Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure how much paint to get. I was going with a gallon so in case I have to order more I wouldn't have to worry about color matching later. They say they mix the color to order. I am going to ask to get them in individual quart cans to avoid the hassle wasting paint. I am doing everything myself and was going to paint in sections, in between weekends, and I hate having to reseal used paint.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:56 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Bare aluminum should be painted with a non-hexavalent chromium conversion coat prior to application of paint. Alodine 5700 for example.

On large applications of paint over bare aluminum without conversion coating, you will get "sheeting" or strip removal of coating due the intermediary oxide layer that forms between the aluminum and primer.

If you are painting over an existing factory paintjob on the aluminum panels, most like you do not have to apply a conversion coating as the factory used one prior to paint.

Any specific reason you're not using a clearcoat?
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:14 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
The aluminum conversion coat on the 2A's Birmabright from the factory survived the recent chem strip.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:24 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
It's not bare aluminum. The tub is NTO 2008. I just roughed with 400 grit. No real reason for not using clearcoat. I am not a painter and have no experience. Was told single stage will do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
paint