Price for rhd to lhd conversion - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 21st, 2014, 01:44 PM
l*factor
Daniel
Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Price for rhd to lhd conversion

What should I expect to pay to have this done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2014, 01:51 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
$1500+ for the bulkhead/dash (thats assuming its in good shape, could go up to $2500 if it needs to be sorted) I'd assume another $1000 in parts.

Figure $3k in labor and bullshit.

I think $6500 is a safe estimate, all in. You can reduce all parts accordingly I just wouldn't plan on any bargains, its more involved then it looks.
Old October 21st, 2014, 02:00 PM
l*factor
Daniel
Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Agreed. I am thinking in terms of future re-sale it makes it more marketable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2014, 02:08 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by l*factor View Post
Agreed. I am thinking in terms of future re-sale it makes it more marketable.
That's a very hot topic on the forum.

Not sure the logic is there in terms of investment unless the bulkhead needs repair and your steering box is shot.

Personally I like the RHD on a 80s defender, It's actually a selling point for most interested parties; though your experience may differ
Old October 21st, 2014, 04:26 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
For the sake of not repeating myself (or, more accurately, retyping everything) I suggest you read the following:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=56965

Jonesy & I were both of the "must have LHD" contingent...until we drove RHD. It's awesome, and ironically at the moment I much prefer it to LHD.

That said, if you've already got the truck here and hate it - I'd reach out to Uncle Douglas as he does conversions as well and may be able to help you.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 21st, 2014, 06:19 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
The $6500 eating Npt90 posted would be a good estimate. I am changing from RHD to LHD on my rebuild. Some of the LHD parts are crazy expensive like the lower dash and heater box. If you could source a compete LHD bulkhead it could make things a lot easier and cheaper. On the flip side the LHD PS box is the same with a Disco so that part is pretty easy to get.

One thing with RHD is you will never lack for conversation! Everyone who sees it makes a comment about it. Driving it you get used to it but you do see why LHD is a little easier/safer in the US. Although a point can be said about people taking more of a notice of a RHD truck and being more cautious around.
Old October 21st, 2014, 06:31 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
$1500+ for the bulkhead/dash (thats assuming its in good shape, could go up to $2500 if it needs to be sorted) I'd assume another $1000 in parts.

Figure $3k in labor and bullshit.

I think $6500 is a safe estimate, all in. You can reduce all parts accordingly I just wouldn't plan on any bargains, its more involved then it looks.
I wish you the very best of luck finding a lhd dash and heater for $1500. They would fly off the shelf like lightning bolts from Zeus's ass if they were available for anywhere near that price. They are considered a screaming deal @ twice that price for the dash and heater, usually considerably more. Then there is the steering and axle knuckle, brake lines. Labor is 22-28 hours depending on the truck, most shops are over $100 per hour so I'll let you do the math. Even Witham's charges 4000gbp more for a lhd ex mod than a right, and those are manual steering trucks without a normal dash. Again I'll let you do the $ conversion.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 21st, 2014, 06:40 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Yep... I ain't even thinking about doing it for anything under $10k, I just slap a set of disco front and rear axles under it and upgrade the brakes to disc all round at the same time..does require new proportioning valve booster etc..
Old October 21st, 2014, 06:51 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
All the pricing aside...folks should drive RHD before deciding they "need" LHD. If you're a competent wheel man, the learning curve should be 15 minutes to get the hang of it and a day of driving around to master it. Biggest threat is initially wanting to look out the driverside window while looking for the rearview mirror during the first week or so .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 21st, 2014, 07:26 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Even Witham's charges 4000gbp more for a lhd ex mod than a right. Again I'll let you do the $ conversion.
This makes me feel a little better about how much I paid for my tired old 90. Thanks!
Old October 21st, 2014, 08:53 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I wish you the very best of luck finding a lhd dash and heater for $1500. They would fly off the shelf like lightning bolts from Zeus's ass if they were available for anywhere near that price. They are considered a screaming deal @ twice that price for the dash and heater, usually considerably more. Then there is the steering and axle knuckle, brake lines. Labor is 22-28 hours depending on the truck, most shops are over $100 per hour so I'll let you do the math. Even Witham's charges 4000gbp more for a lhd ex mod than a right, and those are manual steering trucks without a normal dash. Again I'll let you do the $ conversion.
I have done several....what he said
Old October 21st, 2014, 10:06 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

10K may be cheap these days...

Changes to wiring, wiper motor, dash heater, heater controls, handbrake, petals, accelerator cable, and so on.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 21st, 2014, 10:21 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
10K may be cheap these days...

Changes to wiring, wiper motor, dash heater, heater controls, handbrake, petals, accelerator cable, and so on.
Well since you went ahead and called Shayne a cheap ho I will admit I was thinking the same.

------ Follow up post added October 21st, 2014 10:26 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Wiper motor is the same, its the wiper box locations and the tube the control cable goes in that are different.

-Jeff
rhd wiper motor requires disassembly and the gear moved 180 degree's so the park location is changed. A lhd wiper motor comes already setup that way. That is the difference between the two part numbers. Wiper gear boxes swap holes with the washer nozzles. The first section of the drive tube from the wiper motor to the first wheel box is obviously shorter for the lhd setup than the right.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 21st, 2014, 11:31 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Now that's funny... A Scotsman calling ME cheap...lol..

------ Follow up post added October 21st, 2014 11:31 PM ------

AND a HO...
Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:29 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

I like RHD too.

The only problem I ever had was turning left on a multi lane intersection if someone on the oposite side was turning left too........I had a hard time seeing around the side of their truck/car.

RHD is not a turn off, especially to those of us that have actually driven one.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:47 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
In the interest of beating a dead horse. RHD is better on Land Rovers (Series trucks or Def/90/110 etc) as opposed to RR or Disco), the body and mechanical bits are designed to be RHD and LHD configurations are always a compromise. There is more legroom in the RH footwell. I guess not much of an issue if you're under 6 foot. Not to mention clutch M/C replacement. And you will eat less fast food...
Old October 22nd, 2014, 01:09 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
RHD is not a turn off, especially to those of us that have actually driven one.
^ I firmly believe this is the key....I'd wager that most folks that insist on LHD have never actually driven RHD for a reasonable amount of time. Group me into this category initially ....
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old October 22nd, 2014, 01:48 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Depends on your need for parking garages and drive-thrus.

The parking garage thing was a pain for me until I lifted my truck and put an exocage around it. Now it doesn't fit in parking garages. I don't go through drive-thru's, so RHD suits me fine.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 01:50 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post

And you will eat less fast food...
You say that like it's a good thing?!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old October 22nd, 2014, 01:55 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
having grown up driving RHD it was a non issue...but like Lav said, and Doug affirms, I was def in the conversion camp!!! Thanks to driving it first I saved myself $10K plus - now Doug may not have been happy with that, but he has a lot of work to keep him busy.

If you do decide to go with the conversion - you can not do better than Uncle Douglas.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions