Preventative Maintenance? Tricks? Tips? Upgrades? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 17th, 2006, 07:25 PM
D90/NAS 110
Preventative Maintenance? Tricks? Tips? Upgrades?

I am a new D90 owner, just purchased a 97 ST with 23K miles. It's in great condition, and I want to keep it that way! Tell me what I need to do in terms of preventative maintenance. Any advice you can offer would be appreciated....

1.) Service intervals for low-milage usage?
2.) What things do i to fix BEFORE they break?
3.) Any manditory upgrades? or accessories?
4.) Any tips to keep rust away?
5.) Any parts to keep an eye on after 10 years of low milage?

Old February 17th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's
If it were my truck, I would drain all the fluids and put the good stuff in (you can search for recommendations on this). Then at least I would know exactly what was in every little nook and cranny on the truck. Then stay up with the fluid change intervals and you should be good to go. All of the mechanical stuff I kind of just fix as I go along. Others will have some more suggestions.

Congrats on the purchase! And welcome aboard!

Mom: "Boy, you got champagne taste on a beer budget."
Old February 18th, 2006, 02:30 PM
David Williams
'97 Yellow ST
When I purchased my first d90, It hadn't been driven in two years. When, I started driving it every day, that's when I had problems with leaks and seals. I would change all fluids, replaced filters, and check all hoses and seals. Put it to low and lock it. When, I got my 2nd one, the previous owner never put it into low and it seized up. That's a couple tips that I would do.
Old February 18th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT
be sure to look at the oil cooler lines for cracks or looking dried out and stiff.

nice to have another west side LA guy on the board. Welcome.
Insert pithy quote here.
Old February 19th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW
Low mileage is a cause for concern in my experience. Basically the truck hasn't been driven frequently enough to keep the seal wet and they have a gtendency to dry and leak.

I would check the following:
Head gaskets. Look for weeps at the rear of the block. The engine will still have the old style gaskets and this could be an expensive repair. Mine went after 15k.
Front seals. Check for leaks around the harmonic balancer. This seal when dry will score the shaft and require replacement of the dampner.
Pan and rear main. Check the back of the block for leaks.
Diffs and T-case. Check.

I would change all fluids including the trans. and flush the radiator.

Change all filters. Air, Oil and gas.

I would replace the plugs and wires.

I would replace all the oil cooler and power steering lines. FIRST AND FOREMOST. They cause engine fire if they leak.

I would have a fuel system service done to clean the intake and injectors.

Check the frame and undercarriage for rust.

And finally drive the truck to keep those seals lubricated and leak free. Low mileage little used D-90's are sad. It's a truck not an investment. Enjoy it.

Old February 19th, 2006, 06:59 PM
D90/NAS 110
Thumbs up

Thank you. It sounds like I need to visit a good/honest/cheep local mechanic that will drain the fluids and replace the seals/hoses as needed. Also sounds like I'll be spending some $$$!! But, an ounce of preventation as they say....

I'll search the forum for recommended fluids, fiters, etc., but if you have any further recommendations I'll gladly listen.

Thanks again!

Follow-up Post:

Thanks for the detailed reply--it's much appreciated. I wish I was handier with a wrench to save some $$, but I'll take your notes with me to my next service appt. and start getting things dialed-in.

Thx again!
Old February 19th, 2006, 07:18 PM
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
I would pick up a copy of the RAVE disc, either from someone here or on Ebay... The RAVE Disc has the breakdown of the entire truck, all the parts, part numbers and dealer's book time. Also, join the local land rover club, between the guys on this board and the guys in you local club, the will help you with repairs, local "trust-worthy" mechanics and parts. Not to mention getting you out on a trail.

Most of us have a warehouse full of parts in our garage. Don't be afraid of grabbing a few tools and climbing under the truck. Especially if this is not your primary driver.

Instead of trying to find a local mechanic or the dealership to change the fluids and inspect the truck... Find one of the local guys from the board or from the LR Club, for a few beers I am sure some one would show you around the truck. Or you can drive to North Georgia and I will be more than happy to show you around. :-)

Old February 20th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

If you are looking for a good mechanic in the area...try Larry at Four Oaks Auto over on 5th (I think). He's primarily on old Rovers.

Good luck,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions