Preventative care: protection and communication - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 24th, 2011, 01:37 PM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

Preventative care: protection and communication

I've seached the forum but since I don't really know what I'm looking for, this exercise turned out to be a challenge. I've had my D90 for almost 5 years now and have graduated from logging roads to REAL trails! Heehaa. LOVE offroading and can see my son and I pursuing this bank emptying activity for many more years. So...we need to think about protection and communication and prioritize what needs to be done first. Recovery gear will have to and can wait for now. We've found some awesome guys willing to babysit, teach and haul our sorry butts outta trouble if need be. Eventually though, once the important stuff is taken care of, we'll do winches etc.

So, here are my questions:
1. what would you recommend I do first and where is the best place to buy? Maybe someone here has that they want to sell?
2. CB radios. compact, small, no frills. Just solid and will get the job done. Don't want to spend $$$ on something fancy that isn't necessary.
3. Antennas - type? where is the best place to mount? On the back by the tire carrier maybe?

I have done some research on the CB radios so know a little bit but am keen to hear your thoughts.

I will also post this on the Series board as my son has a '65 Series IIA. I will be alternating trucks while my son is overseas for a year so want to get both done.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2011, 01:56 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
There's also the FRS radio route, like the Midland GMRS/FRS 50+ channel waterproof handhelds. Can be used for when you go skiing and stuff, portable, etc.
Old June 24th, 2011, 02:02 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

I would list first comms,recovery, protection. A winch is a chicken/egg thing(budget) . Takes longer, but a farmer jack is good to have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2011, 02:03 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Just my opinion, but I'd put the winch pretty high on the list if you are getting off the beaten path. Body protection would determined by the type of terrain you are getting into. As for a CB, I think the limited space in a D90 can be a big factor and you might consider a handheld like Josh suggested with an antenna mounted in the rear of the truck.
Old June 24th, 2011, 02:55 PM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

Thanks all for the feedback so far. Just checked out the hand held radios and really like them. Just wondering - how many channels one really needs and what mile range? We always make a point of having visual contact of each other (but you never know what might happen while beating about the bushes). I like that they are super portable and can be locked away easily. It especially seems a good fit for the old Series IIA. Any disadvantages to the hand held option?

I'm not too worried about cosmetic type body protection (yet). I'm talking about protecting the stuff that keeps the truck going! No point in having recovery gear but a truck that has a busted tie rod for example or some other type injury that would leave one having to be towed out of the trails and home.

There are a couple of good offroading stores here but I like online prices better. Any favorites where we ca get stuff like hi-lift jacks, recovery straps etc?

I really am new to offroading and learning as we trail along. For now common sense and logic is what guides me but these could be wrong so I'm eager to hear what you all think.
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:03 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
range of signal will be your main loss. They're great though. Those Midland ones were the best bang for the buck after I did a bunch of searching around before I bought that same model without the camo print. I should try that antenna on tha back of the truck trick, but so far have not had any issues with regard to range not being adequate. The only issue I've had with mine is that I let my brother's little ones play with them a few weeks ago and they ended up locking one, and keeping the mic open on the other (and also locked)...somehow those kids figure out a way to do things I swear aren't even in the instructions.

Good things about the portability: Can use for other family outings, hiking, skiing ("hey I'm heading into the lodge now"), can lend to someone else who doesn't have a radio, etc.
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:29 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

If you stay on continental US you don't really need a lot of gear, unless of course you go alone in very isolated spots.
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:37 PM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

too whimpy and not wise to go alone! We do plan on finding more challenging trails as we gain experience and confidence. The main thing is to avoid expensive repairs if it can be avoided - not to mention the thought of getting stuck in the middle of nowhere with a broken truck does not appeal to me. I guess as a parent I prefer to ere on the side of caution also.
The hand helds are really appealing and think I will go that route!
Yup, kids manage to do the darndest things. They managed to lock our dishwasher and it took me forever to figure out how to unlock it. Of course I should've checked the manual but didn't feel like it.
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:18 PM
kevkon
kevin

From what you have said, maybe some air lockers and differential guards would be a good start.
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:29 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleofman View Post
too whimpy and not wise to go alone! We do plan on finding more challenging trails as we gain experience and confidence.
If you don't already belong, you should consider joining Cascade Rovers... Talk to Steve or Jim at Biggs the next time you are at that end of town...
Old June 26th, 2011, 03:38 AM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM View Post
If you don't already belong, you should consider joining Cascade Rovers... Talk to Steve or Jim at Biggs the next time you are at that end of town...
Biggs is just around the corner from our house, so I've gotten to know Steve and Jim fairly well over the years - great guys and service!! I have to overcome my fear of clubs before joining! Maybe it's more a fear of being kicked out than actually joining
Old June 26th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

For communication, get whatever people you travel with are using. Not necessarily same model, but if they are using CB's, get a CB. If FRS, get FRS, etc. The best radio in the world is worthless if you can't talk to the people you need to.
If you start going out alone you might want to consider Ham for the range.
For CB I like my Cobra C 75WX ST. It gives more flexibility in mounting.

Firestik is a good antenna and on the spare mount is probably the easiest place to mount it.

I'd get a good properly sized dynamic recovery strap (the sort that stretches) and a couple of screw pin shackles (Crosby or Columbus MiKinnon ) to let people know you aren't relying on them and their gear 100%.

Most likely the first traction aid, aside from decent tires, should be a winch. Lockers help you not get stuck, but they also help you get worse stuck. Where lockers would be a first choice is if you travel terrain where your life would be in danger if you loose traction.

If you're afraid of clubs, try a stick, they're smaller.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old June 26th, 2011, 10:36 AM
kevkon
kevin

Or as Groucho Marx said ; "I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
event