Pressure Washer Recommendations - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 5th, 2009, 05:04 PM
firemangreen
Justin
97 D1, 95 SW, 65 IIA

Pressure Washer Recommendations

After a great MAR 2009, I'd rather not continue to keep the local spray wash place in business. I still have a lot more mud to get off the underside of the truck. Anyone have any recommendations on gas powered pressure washers?
Brand? Engine HP? GPM? PSI? Extra Features?

I've used a couple of different brands, Sears, Excell, etc. but don't have detailed experience with them. TIA.
95 SW #129
65 IIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 5th, 2009, 06:55 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Pressure wash force water where it is no supposed to go .

My 2c, it's a no no.
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:45 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I have some Lowes-Troy Bilt-Honda powered model that has worked well. Nothing crazy. I would recommend getting the staun massojet attachment sold by a few vendors. Also, even with a lifted d-90, you'll find it hard to maneuver the wand when underneath the truck. I'm currently in search of a shorter wand to use in tight spaces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2009, 09:06 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Justin I have a little gas powered (honda engine) unit which works well - including decks, siding etc. I'd need to go out and look to tell you the name and model if you want, but I think I got it at the Home Depot or Sears the like.

But you should try putting a sprinkler under it and move it around every 10 minutes. It slowly eats into the mud and loosens it up. I can't tell you how this works on Airy Hill Farm mud though as I haven't washed my truck yet.
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:27 AM
bitz
Jon
NAS D90, 85 D110 CSW, 66 Dormobile

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Ou...atalogId=10053

My buddy has this one and it works awesome. But be careful it will strip paint if you use the high power nozzle.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD
Pressure wash force water where it is no supposed to go .

My 2c, it's a no no.
So would you just recommend leaving the mud packed in?
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:06 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Try to decide how heavily, and for what you will want to use it. For auto clean-up, some of the better Electrics are easier to deal with, require less maintenance, and provide plenty of pressure (you don't want to overdue it with washing vehicles). If you also want to use it for washing your deck, driveway, etc, you will want to consider one in the 2600-2800 psi range minimum, and that puts you into gas powered units for the most part.

I have an older Tory Bilt 2600 PSI (bought at Lowes) that has worked well for the household duties, but honestly I don't use it for the cars/truck, but the low pressure tips it comes with would be fine for mud cleaning duties. It has a Honda 'GC' engine, with is Honda's homeowner grade engine, the professional units use 'GX' series engines, which are reportedly more robust, durable and reliable, though I've had no issues with mine...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:10 AM
firemangreen
Justin
97 D1, 95 SW, 65 IIA

Good info everyone! I've asked around at work and it seems that the honda powered pumps seem to work the best and 2300-2500psi is strong enough to get the dirt off but not strip paint.
Julien-Good point, but I don't want to encourage rust by leaving the mud on there and for the Airy Hill Farm mud, a pressure washer is more effective.
Charles- I tried that but to get in to the cracks, I need something a little more powerful. I swear the mud I plowed with my front bumper on 1D is a second cousin to cement!
David- I'll be looking for the massojet and you're right, it seems that no one makes a short wand. Let me know if you find one somewhere.
Jon-Thanks, I'll have to check out the local HD.

If money were no object, I'd get one of those steam pressure washers, aka a Steam Jenny. We unintentionally did a little off roading with a truck at work in a recycling/wood chip yard and buried it. The local quarry let us use their Steam Jenny and the underside wound up clean enough to eat off of!
95 SW #129
65 IIA
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:57 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

This may be a lark but i recall seeing a bendable wand attachment for power washers in one of the rover magazines within the past 3years i would say.
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

What do they use at Robisons to prep for waxoyl?
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:11 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitz
So would you just recommend leaving the mud packed in?
Garden hose with regular nozzle and a little bit of patience.

I have to say i like the sprinkler idea, not so agressive as
the power washer .
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:09 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Consider the pneumatic kind, you use a normal 30psi source though so for on-trail use you need a lift pump and oba but they work well enough and would be less likely to strip paint etc and are very compact. I think this is the route I will be taking with the 110 since I plan proper oba and pressurized water supply(and RO filter) anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
But you should try putting a sprinkler under it and move it around every 10 minutes. It slowly eats into the mud and loosens it up. I can't tell you how this works on Airy Hill Farm mud though as I haven't washed my truck yet.
I used this technique over a 3 hour period on Sunday and it got 90% of the mud off of the truck.
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:20 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have a wand that attaches to a normal hose to boost pressure. I put on a diving mask and a snokle and get under when I have to clean one of the trucks. It works fine with a stiff brush to get it clean.
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Talking

...use this and a garden hose...
Attached Images

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions