Prepping for paint- advice please - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Cool Prepping for paint- advice please

I'm just removing checker plating, wheel arches, badging, bumper, grill, etc. to get my rover ready for paint. I have maybe two spots that will need filler and have been advised to use filler specially engineered for aluminum/galvanized(like Wurth). I plan on simply sanding and using appropriate prep solvent where paint is solid. But, I don't know what to prime with on spots where I am doing work and sanding away the paint. Should I use a zinc chromate primer on these aluminum spots? What should I use to prime the galvanized cappings as I am going for the more modern d-90 look? Finally, does anyone have a recommendation for a durable paint finish coat... polyurethane, imron, etc. I'm not a big of clear coat finishes. One last thing... Where can I find the color match, code or a match for my current paint. Its an '84 d-90 with factory greenish aqua kind of color. Seriously, just one last question... do I have to worry about any of the common paints reacting with aluminum(ie do they have metal in the formulation: i don't mean metallic fleck paint)?
Thanks for the Advice,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Getting paint to stick to galvanizing it tough. For bare aluminium, use an etching primer.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Thanks for the advice.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

DP90 work fantastic for aluminum, and priming over filler etc. That is what they are using on mine currently. be sure to get the areas really rough where the filler will be used on the aluminum. it will have a much better chance of staying on where it was suppose to.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
isleofbones
Mike Deery
1984 D-90

Ryan-
Sorry for my ignorance, but, what is dp90? Is it body filler or is it primer?
Thanks,
Mike
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:26 AM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleofbones
Ryan-
Sorry for my ignorance, but, what is dp90? Is it body filler or is it primer?
Thanks,
Mike
its an epoxy primer that is a superior resistance to moisture, corrosion and rust. it pretty much seals the panels completely. It is better to use an epoxy primer on areas that require filler. the bondo will stick a lot better on the DP90 then to bare metal and prevent it from rusting. once you seal the then entire car, you can let is sit for months before you paint it and not have to worry about rust. as for a non-epoxy primer that will actually absorb moisture and attack the panels underneath with rust.

I just went through all of this with mine. It just got painted last week and hopefully I will be picking it up tomorrow.

any auto paint supplier will know about DP90.

Ryan

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
paint