Preparing to start an engine that sat for 7 years - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Preparing to start an engine that sat for 7 years

I'm looking for advice on what to do to test an engine that has been sitting for 7 years.

It's a 4.0L in a 1998 Discovery that got into an accident and sat for 7 years while legal issues were being resolved. It is still in the vehicle.

I assume pull the plugs, squirt some oil into the cylinders and hand turn it a few times. Then maybe disconnect the coil and make sure she turns freely with the starter, then try actually run it.

I am concerned about the oil pump needing to be primed. I have heard you can pack it full of vaseline. Is this recommended?

In the accident the bottom of the radiator got pushed up into the fan so I know I need to remove the fan at a minimum, but what else? My goal is to make sure the engine is good before buying it.

thanks
charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

a 97 will have a different style oil pump, so the vaseline trick is not going to be an option at all.

I would go with the exact procedure you just described.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Personally, I would change the fuel and fuel filter first as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2007, 03:40 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Good point. I'm too caught up in making sure I don't bugger the engine to see the obvious

Does anyone know if the transmission needs special care, or is it ok to run the engine briefly without draining the fluids and cleaning the filter?

Thanks!
charles
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I would not worry about the transmission.
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:25 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

If you are trying to decide if the engine is still good as is, you need to do a compression check. It is a simple procedure and you can get a gage at any auto parts store for about $20. Let me know if you need a step-by-step and I will be glad to write it up. This will tell you the condition of the cylinders and valves.
-Scott
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

don't pull coils

squirt a little oil fire away

drain the fuel tank as low as you can & replace
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:49 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Thanks guys

I got as far as removing the fan/clutch, squirting oil in the cylinders and hand turning it over a few revolutions. It in no way felt seized and other than what felt like significant compression resistance it turned over fine. The battery cells were dry so I added water and trickle charged it, but it didn't make much impact by the time I wanted to turn it over with the starter. I jumped it, but I think the battery was drawing all the power. It turned over slowly but would quickly drain all the power. Anyway it was dark at this point and the owner thought the ecu had been removed (but I think it was just the airbag ecu) so I gave up.

Tomorrow I'll buy a battery and drain/replace the fuel and filter before trying to turn it over again

Scott, I do have a compression gauge, and might check it tomorrow but I honestly don't think it's necessary - the engine only has 3K miles on it and it shows - it looks like new, oil is a clean as a whistle etc.

I was a bit disappointed to find between the owner and his brother, they claim to have committed to sell the front seats already and that wasn't included in the price of the vehicle. I just need to verify I can use all the components from it I think I can, before finalizing the purchase (and getting it to run first).

I'll start another thread, but if you know how much of the drivetrain I can just swap in to my '94 defender, please let me know. I am hoping I can put the whole 4.0 including the serpentine belt setup and same intake straight in. I already have a auto transmission from a discovery so I assume I can use that and the transfer case and axles even. I am not sure if I can use the Y-pipe or not.

thanks
charles
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:46 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Just turn it over with the starter and the plugs out and oiled cylinders. Unplug the coil pack to keep it from starting. Do this until you get oil pressure. I agree on the new fuel idea as well.

Good luck
Is it a donor vehicle for you D90?

Follow-up Post:

Some stuff on the intake for the fuel injection will be wrong for you. But you can swap parts easy enough to make it work for you. Glad you found something.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:55 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
That was the plan, until I started doing my homework this evening. I'm not so sure it's the best idea anymore because I was initially thinking I could use the whole shebang as-is (complete engine, tranny, t-case maybe axles if I wanted to). I had forgotten that the 98 Discovery 4.0 is OBDII so I need to change the cam and timing cover anyway, and can't use the transmission either. That means a lot less of the truck I can use and therefore a lot more to have to sell to recoup my costs. Not looking so attractive right now

So, back on the damn fence for now. Unless I figure something else out, the current plan is to take it up to Trevor Griffith to have him look at it and get him to do the work so I know it's done right.

Seems like a very nice drivetrain on this truck though.

charles
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:04 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Transmission would be fine. A nice crower cam would wake this sleeping beauty up. I might be able to fine a front cover with a distributor hole for you to use with it to keep it serpentine belt.
Whats the price to you? They should be able to sell cheap if they settled.

JP

Axles would have good internals for spares. T- case would be good for you. Front driveshaft. blnker fluid etc...

Old May 8th, 2007, 01:14 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Being able to keep the serpentine setup would be nice assuming it had a new/rebuilt oil pump. How much are we talking? Is is safe to assume I could use the same lifters etc and not need to get the heads done with such low miles? I also read on a post here that the crankshaft is longer on a 4.6 - does this apply to the 4.0, or does the cover change take care of that too?

How about things like the exhaust manifold and y-pipe. Can those be used? My cats rattle

I had read that the tranny wouldn't work properly without the OBDII control. Good to know.

$3k for the truck. Not sure what the rest is worth (or how much work it will be to sell them off). No front seats, windshield, left front fender, hood, front grill all buggered, frame bent. Rest good afaikt.

charles
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:45 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Thats to much money I think. They want to get paid twice.

The cover would solve the longer crankshaft.
You want new lifters with a new cam. But the rockers are fine. Is that what you were thinking? Transfer the oil pump to the replacement cover. Use the downpipes and plug the rear O2 sensors. Transfer the intake when you change the cam and cover.

Offer 1500.00 use extra money for parts.

Old May 8th, 2007, 08:40 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah thats what i was thinking with the camshaft, thanks.

The problem is these guys think it's worth more than $3k - they sold the front seats out of it from under me already, claiming it wasn't included. They won't budge on the price. They want $2500 for the drivetrain alone if I went that route.

I was thinking if I fired her up and it ran well (it should) and I could use the entire drivetrain (with the timing cover changes) it still might be worth it. But again, not sure how much I can get for the remaining parts.

charles
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

These guys sound a little jerkish. What's next, the wheels are gone as well?

$3k for this is high. They are looking to get part rates without the effort or time of parting out or ensuring its not really just scrap metal. You don't really know much about the overall condition of these parts. Accidents can do funny things, and this truck has spend most of its life idle. Don't these sell for $4 to $6k in good running condition?

You should have them prove to you the engine works and the remaining drivetrain is sound. If not, then $1500 is more than fair. Stop working for them, and go look at ebay for older Discovery's.
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, I paid $750 last year for a '95 Disco I with only 58k miles. It was in overall great shape and just needed a radiator (had a leak). It was a base model (no SNRF or jump seats) and it was gold but it ran great, looked great, and had leather even. I am sure you can find a better deal than $3k for a wreck. Personally I'd rather steal the engine out of one that has been running recently and you can drive to see what shape the drivetrain is in (ie. if the trans shifts right and low range works etc). I'd tell these guys to pound sand! For that price you could just get a brand new engine and reuse your drivetrain. Isn't the engine your only problem anyway?
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:21 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, all I really need is an engine. The ultra low mileage is attractive to me, and I thought it would be worth replacing the whole drivetrain if I could get $1K for the rest of it parted out. The reality is almost any approach I take to fix my truck is going to cost me $1500 or more even if I do the work myself, so that's why it seemed a decent deal.

But yeah I agree. These guys don't want to do the work, but want to reap the benefits. They seem shady too which I hate.

charles
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:03 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Cant you get a decent deal from Will T down your way?
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:14 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I need to talk to him again, but he didn't have anything last time I checked. He's not that close either. I sent him a PM yest to see if he needs/wants any of this truck, but judging from the feedback, its probably too expensive for him too. I guess no-one thinks the low mileage is worth it.

Trevor Griffith has an engine and he's closer, and thats my standing option right now. But like I said, short of throwing a used engine in without any repair/maint, every option starts adding up fast Once I hit a certain threshold I start having concerns about me screwing something up and throwing money out the window, so I'm likely to just have Trevor do the work too. Without having done it before I have concerns that I'd botch replacing the cam and timing chain. I just hope my truck can make the 3 hour trip. lol.

Fun stuff. Wish I just had more free time to play with it

charles
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:53 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

The gold disco I have listed in the classifed section has a good running engine in it. Serpentine belt with distrbutor. The downpipes have new Catco cats installed that are working well. 88,000 I think. Do you want engine trans and transfer case? I'm headed your way soon and can deliver to your door. Lets make a deal.

JP
Sorry to

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, start