Preparing new tub for paint - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 8th, 2010, 10:43 PM
mightymg
Lane Farka
97 D90, 05 LR3, 95 RRC LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Respirator--double check.

Lane why did you acid etch the joints? Is scotch brite finer than 400 grit? What color did you get?
I used acid etch primer just as an extra precaution, sometimes the joints and seams dont get as good of a spray as the rest, so i wanted to make sure i didn't get any peel.. as far as scotch brite compared to 400 Id say its pretty close.. I used green scotch brite, i tried the white, but its like 1000 grit, I could barely see the scuff so i decided to use green...

95 RRC LWB-- DD
97 D90 37 " krawlers, coilovers, beadlocks, stretched
05 LR3 - Mamas/ tow rig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Moab rally vids 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2010, 03:23 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Rather than using sandpaper you can use a scuff pad, they should be in the auto-paint section and come in different colours/grades, they will scuff the surface without removing any of the 'texture' of the previous paint surface.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:22 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
So how many coats of sealer and paint did you guys ended up doing? I'm guessing 1 for sealer and 1-2 coats for paint?

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 11th, 2010, 11:29 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Normally sealer is a 1 coat deal and paint 2 - 3

but it will all depend on the product you buy, your local paint store will have data sheets for the paint you plan on using that covers thickness and everything.
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:56 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Thanks Dave. I see a trend here--local vendor. Gotcha. I will seek their advice. Thanks again everyone!

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
paint