PPI NEEDED in Ontario, California - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:37 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
Very true on the rollover - but I do not intend (yet...giggle) to put myself in any situations where that would be an issue. If I get into it as much as I was before, I am sure I will source one out. For now, it will be my project car and daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:06 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

If you look closely the POE top yellow and rear tup does not match the rest of the truck. I have a keen eye for the yellow as I just got me hardtop doors on my AA yellow and the yellow on the doors doen't quite match the original paint color (^&*^*^(&*^(&*YN aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasrrrggghhhh. I am going to have to live with it though.

Wrong type of seat belts for a bench seat. Which means I wonder which is the is the true 739 truck. It doesn't look like the badge was swapped over.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:30 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
I can't tell - but I have looked closely at the history of this car, and it spent a long time on South Beach - and I find no mention of any mods, but do find mention of metal top work clear back when new. I also thought that LR did not put the bench in on the POE? Those are added later by owners (and this one is an obvious add on... I would guess by the same person that did the unpainted, now rusty, can and tank mount - that is an amateur job!)
Never, know... don't really care if it is original or not though. I plan to restore it and modernize it some too over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:58 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
AutoCheck is back up. It looks like the reported mileage has been all over the place - has that been explained or documented? It's been in an accident. It's been in and out of auctions, dealer inventory, 6 or so owners - the past 3-4 of them have not owned it for much more than a year, etc. If it's what you want, go for it - I hope you get a good deal on it!

http://www.auctiondirectusa.com/rale...DV2281RA939434
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:10 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
The Carfax mileage is very linear as far as I can see. It does not agree with Autocheck at all. (so who do you believe?) It has not been driven but 3k the last three years.... traded around a lot (that part is odd, but I have had this before on oddball cars I own). I think everyone thinks they are going to make a mint on it, and find it has a limited audience. I am getting a good deal though (at least I think so).

I looked up the accident, and it was minor fender bender with less than $1000 total damage. (under 1k they don't report exactly what it was I guess). The original owner rear ended someone at a traffic light.

input appreciated on this issue. You can see the Carfax on the Fleabay listing.

Would your assessment not concur?
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:14 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
CArfax to make it easier

This is the Carfax
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CARFAX Vehicle History Report on SALDV2281RA939434.pdf (519.4 KB, 127 views)
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:23 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Minnesota...Wisconsin...Pennsylvania...

I'd be more worried about rust due to road salt than actual mileage.

A used longblock doesn't seem all that expensive, all things considered.

IMHO The really expensive stuff is everything else - bulkhead rust, door rust, frame rust, suspension component rust, NLA parts that need to be replaced...
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:26 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
Those are my thoughts too.... anyone give me some advance thoughts on the two rust pictures I posted? Considering it spent a good deal of time in FL, that makes me feel better - the northern states and the salt give me the creeps though.

Thanks again Baldewin for your kind response to check it out monday - I can't wait to hear your feedback.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:48 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
The skid is "normal" and easily replaced but you have no close up of the rear crossmember ends or behind it - that's where the rust will be. In some of those pictures I want to say the crossmember is bubbling which means it's already past repair (IE will need replacing).

Even if Chris gives it the thumbs up, I'd fly out and drive it before spending that kind of money personally.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:54 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
Thank you much for that information.... ideas on cross member replace cost (ballpark?)
Old February 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I honestly have no idea as the price will be dependent on what kind of labor rates you can get. Around here anything like this costs a fortune (and I do my own work). Someone is getting theirs done right now so maybe they can tell you (but I fear his is going to get expensive).
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
i find it very interesting that Autocheck and Carfax are so far out of sync. The only thing that moves me toward Carfax (besides that i may be wanting to be blind on this ;P ) is that the full carfax has more service info.

I am not afraid of anything mechanical (my expertise), but i am concerned about major and costly rust issues. I sold my last D90 because life conditions required it to be outdoors for 3-4 years and it did not fair well on the rust issues. Sold it pretty low because of that.

I like the POE split rear door, as I find the more useful in my mind. I really don't want another ST. However, another AA SW would be fine.

I am repeating myself.....

Thank you so much for everyone's input so far. I see the community is even better than before!!
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:29 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Why not an AA yellow soft top (there were "no" yellow hard tops) in better condition, with a ST rollcage, and a fiberglass hard top, which also has the split rear door? Yeah, the fiberglass tops can suck, but this POE hard top is really not that far off from being a fiberglass top (no headliner, gap in the rear door, etc.). Just thinking...
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:35 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
i had the fiberglass top before...hated it... and i plan on doing a full interior (removing the hose down ability unfortunately).

don't hate on me...lol....jk
Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:24 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
I am sure many of you guys have seen this, but this is my inspiration...

http://www.startech.de/land-rover/de...os-bilder.html

Of course I will not take it this far, but this interior is beautiful. Since the plan (and plans do change!!) is to just do mild dirt trails, little to no mud, and no snorkel high water crossings - I wanted to have a very nice daily driver interior. I have had some sort of LR at all times since I was forced to live here (God I miss Colorado), and there is not much off roading here that a basic SUV can not handle.
If anyone knows of anything within an hour or two of Atlanta - let me know... maybe the D90 will go all the way the other way, like I had before.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:43 PM
slowpoke496
Bryan

Piper
Crossmember will run you approx $400. My initial estimate for the labor was $575 - 675. BUT I have run into a snag with the fitment and fuel cradles.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:59 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
thanks for the info!!! not tooooo bad. At least not to keep one of our beloved, greatest and most interesting trucks on the road
Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:45 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I admire your goal, but maybe a $30k+ truck isn't the best place to start from if you plan on doing all that to it.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:02 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
I would be interested to here your idea? However, don't get me wrong - I am not going THAT far. Just plucking an idea here and there.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
I was going to say there's a green truck in the for sale section for $15k that you can do what you want with, but you seem stuck on yellow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions