Power steering reservoir leak - '84 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 20th, 2007, 08:27 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Power steering reservoir leak - '84 110

I don't know a whole lot about power steering systems. Is it normal to have it build up pressure? My 110 is leaking out the top of the reservoir. It looks like it took a good whack on the corner edge at some point and it's leaking out of the kink in the lid/lip. I tried to flatten out the lid at the kink, and in the process the little center cover/baffle which goes over the hole in the lid came off. I'll try jb weld it, but think I might just replace the whole reservoir. Interestingly, with a bit of duct tape over the hole it leaks worse than before - i assume due to pressure buildup. Is this normal? It seems this needs to be allowed to breath.

Thankfully the reservoir is rather large and thus I only have to fill it at the same frequency as my "smaller" leaks

thanks
charles

Followup - Does the reservoir need to be that big (when not leaking) or would it be sufficient to get one of the smaller newer style ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I may have one you can have once I hook up the bling one.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:31 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Hmm, there shouldnt be pressure on the resevoir side of the system I dont think. PS I've seen only have pressure lines between the pump and steering box, whereas the lines to the resevoir are low-pressure lines without fittings.

Strange, how's the local chicken popluation?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2007, 08:59 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I think it's the steroids...

The reservoir has low pressure fittings to the pump. The thing is this reservoir is like a tin can, with a wide tin lid and no rubber seal. The lid has a hole in the top and inside a little baffle/plate I assume to limit the ingress of dirt (seems like a stupid design). The D90 has a nice firmly sealing plastic lid.

So i guess I am not sure if the hole is there because it needs to breath, and I have blocked that now (and the kink is now relieving pressure and fluid with it, or I have some pump problem causing added pressure.

charles
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:40 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

PS systems build pressure. My understanding was that the res was supposed to be vented. Fill it 2/3rd full and see if the situation improves.
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:57 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Ron, you are right. It seems it just needs to be able to breath.

Buck, thanks for the offer but I think my lid will be fine (and the sealed kind wouldn't be good). I'll try jb weld the little baffle back in place, but until then my duct tape with a gap added seems to be fine.

The PS pump is now only leaking from the seal at the main shaft the drop arm goes on I'll try replace that seal before resorting to more drastic measures.

charles
Old December 26th, 2007, 04:02 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Try a little lucas stop leak. Usually works for a while. The shaft wears on the bushing and that is what causes the leak. A new seal is a short lived fix.
You could send to meridian to have them rebuild it with a bearing in place of the bushing, but you would be down a little while.
Old December 26th, 2007, 06:48 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Mmh. Ok, will see.

Thanks,
charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags