Power steering question/ help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 26th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
Power steering question/ help

I have searched a number of threads. I have about 4" of movement in the steering wheel before my wheels turn. I was able to correct some of that, by tightening the allen bolt on the top of power steering box (addressed in multiple write-ups). I still feels like I am over compensating for the sloop in steering wheel, at times almost too much! It feels very uncomfortable and can be scary.

Can anyone give me any more suggestions or is it time for a new power steering box?

Please Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2012, 08:08 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Check your pan hard rod bushings.
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
Can you tell me where I can find them? Photo, or a Suspension Diagram?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2012, 01:39 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Do you have any shaking in the steering wheel when you go over a bump? My RRC had this problem and a lot of play. Two bushing replaced and it is gone. Very easy to do. Number 8 and 6 in the diagram
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panhard.png
Views:	75
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	52204  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 27th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
It shakes a little when you hit a pot hole at high speeds. (probably normal) My concern is more toward play in the steering wheel. The suspension feels tight, I just feel like the steering should be much more repsonsive when I turn the wheel. And not have three inches of play in the wheel.

Can you suggest a brand of bushing kit for the entire truck? (Assuming this will come with the Panhard Rod Bushings).

Also, what do you think about replacing the steering damper?
Old May 27th, 2012, 03:15 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Mine did the same thing and I would have to really move the steering wheel to get it to turn. Just take a quick peek under your truck to see the state of the bushings. Mine started out shaking just a little but over time it got unbearable. I would just use OEM rubber bushing. They're like $6 each. Cheap and easy to fix. Not sure what model you have but:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ANR3410.cfm

I don't think a bad steering dampner will give excessive play in your steering.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:16 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Have somebody sit in the truck and turn the wheel from side to side a few inches repeatedly. Crawl under the front and look at the ends of the pan hard rod as shown in the diagram. If the ends of the rod move more than a fraction in relation to the axle and frame where it is secured then the bushes are shot.

This means when you turn the wheel the body of the truck is moving sideways in relation to the axle before the wheels start to turn. That is your play.

If the bushes are bad and you are going to replace them, also check the condition of the bolts and the holes. If the bushes have been worn for a while then the bolts can become worn and the holes can become elongated. Watch the bolt head at the axle end especially. Does it move in relation to the bracket it goes through?

There are other parts that can cause the wobble and some play in the steering but lets focus on the pan hard rod for now as its the most likely culprit and casues the most excessive play.

Hope that makes sense?

Ian
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

check the steering UJ joint for play, it is located between the end of the steering colum and the power steering box.
get someone to rock the steering, the should be no play in the joint.

regards

Gren
Old May 27th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
Thanks guys for the help! I will begin investigating right away and keep you posted.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions