power steering pump mounting brackets - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 14th, 2010, 12:08 AM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

power steering pump mounting brackets

Does anyone have a good picture of how the power steering pump mounts in an early Defender?

I took copius photos during disassembly of my engine, but my hard drive crashed and I lost almost all of the photos.

I remember how most everything went together (alternator mounting assembly is already set up)... but I cannot, for the life of me, remember how the power steering pump mounted in. I'm sitting here staring at a pile of little bracket parts, nuts and bolts and I'm a little lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2010, 12:22 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
If yours is a 3.5 v8 rhd this may help. Image 52, 53, 75. It has white tissue stuck in one of the port

http://mudsux.multiply.com/photos/al...GINE_REINSTALL

Also here:

http://mudsux.multiply.com/photos/al...atorair_filter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old November 14th, 2010, 10:27 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
If that doesn't help I can get better/closer pics if you want.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2010, 05:05 PM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

Yep, that helps a lot... now I know why everything looked so foreign to me.

I took my PSP to a hydraulic shop to have it rebuilt a while back (because it was leaking) and it appears that the shop put the mounting plate(s) back on in the wrong orientation.

Would you please confirm for me a few things before I take this thing apart and fix it?

While looking at photo #52, we'll call the union bolt the top (12:00 position) and where the white tissue is hanging out the right side (3:00 positon)...
1.) The mounting plate on the front of the PSP has two tangs. It appears that the longer of the two tangs is at the bottom (6:00 poistion), opposite the union bolt... and the shorter of the two tangs is on the left side (9:00 position). Is that correct?

2.) The mounting bracket on the rear is not visible in any of the pictures, but it has one tang. I believe that it bolts into one of the tapped holes on the drivers side head (the lower, innermost I believe). Can you please conform for me in which direction the rear mounting bracket tang is supposed to be oriented (it looks to be the left side (9:00 position)?
Thanks for your help... this is saving me a lot of time and frustration.

Cheers,.
Scott
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Hey Scott, I think pictures will better help you. I took some more for you. I have the engine back in the truck so a lot of things were in the way but I hope this helps. The last 2 pics is from the bottom looking up. More pics here:

http://mudsux.multiply.com/photos/album/38
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0030.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	33087   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0035.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	362.2 KB
ID:	33088  

Name:	IMG_0036.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	33089   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	33090  

Name:	IMG_0041.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	33091  

Old November 15th, 2010, 08:49 AM
punter
Scott
1966 Series IIA

So THAT'S where that little tube/spacer goes!!!!

Yep, those pictures were perfect! I've got it completely. Thanks so much for your help!

Cheers,
Scott
Old November 15th, 2010, 07:31 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by punter View Post
So THAT'S where that little tube/spacer goes!!!!

Yep, those pictures were perfect! I've got it completely. Thanks so much for your help!

Cheers,
Scott
No worries, glad I could help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, bracket, mount, rack