Power steering pump install issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 7th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Power steering pump install issues

Bah, this is never easy.

I just finished installing a rebuilt power steering pump and new hoses. But it just doesn't seem to be getting pressure. I did try to bleed it via the fitting on the box, which helped, but not enough.

What am I missing here?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

How did you try and bleed it? Sounds like there is still air. Can you tell if it is moving any fluid? One way I bleed mine is turning it right full lock--is that what you did?
Old May 8th, 2010, 08:36 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I was always told they would self bleed, is it making noise? I tried a few pumps and ended up having to buy a new one.
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Kept adding fluid until it wouldn't suck any more down, opened the bleeder valve until fluid came out. Repeated these two until I stopped getting air.

Then I pulled the fuel pump fuse, and cranked the engine to turn the pump slowly for a little while.

Repeated the first couple step a couple times. Then ran it full speed, turning from lock to lock. This got SOME pressure.

But I think I may have foamed the fluid in the process somewhere...... I.E. I may have forgotten to use the bleed screw before cranking it. I'm going to give it another try after letting it sit for a day, and any foam to calm down.

-Hans

Old May 8th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Put in fluid, open bleed valve (I put a hose on the bleed valve to drain the fluid into a bucket), start the engine, and turn the wheel full stop to the right bleeding fluid. That is how I did mine last week, and it worked for me. I may be possible to do this with the engine off, not sure, mine was with the engine running.
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

It's pretty much working fine now, after I bled it a few times. Every once in a while it gets tough to steer, like it's burping through another air bubble, but that is happening less and less all the time.

-Hans

Old May 16th, 2010, 02:07 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Try gavity bleeding it. The pump is pretty high on the system so a new pump becomes a PITA to bleed (at least the one I did was).
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yeah, that's all it seems to have needed, was to be bled repeatedly every time it started steering tough and burped through some air.

Appears to be working normally now, and no more of that annoying leak from the old pump throwing fluid all over the engine compartment.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions