Power Steering Pump GPM flow rate - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 13th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Power Steering Pump GPM flow rate

Does anyone have specs on the flow rate of the power steering pump for the (in my particular case) the 94-97 defenders? I know that the serp pump and the v-belt pumps are different as I did a front cover swap, but I bet the flow rates are pretty similar.

The reason I ask is that I recently did an LS swap and I know the LS pump puts out about 3-3.9 gpm depending on the exact pump, closer to 3.5gpm for my particular case. When I initiate turning, the turning is too quick--feels twitchy like it is going to turn too fast and keep turning. Since my steering box is the original Land Rover one, it could be the flow rate as it didn't do that before and my alignment is unchanged and still correct (I checked). I know I can go more toe-in to correct twitchy steering, but I don't think that is it. If it is an increased pump flow rate, that would cause it too.

MCMLXIX posted:
Quote from DSE website:
This flow correction fitting will reduce flow from 3 gal/min to approximately 2 gal/min while retaining the appropriate pressure in the system. This flow correction fitting should be used when a GM power steering pump is used with a Mustang II rack and pinion.

Tech Tip: A power steering pump with a 3 gal/min flow rate can overboost a Ford rack and pinion. The steering will feel "twitchy" or "nervous" if our flow correction fitting is not used.

And they make: https://www.detroitspeed.com/Steerin...rol-valve.html

I am thinking of trying that. But I also wanted to know if the other pump (and our boxes) wanted a lower flow rate than I am currently running. Anyone know? I called Meridian (who rebuilt my box) but they are absolutely not wanting to even talk about anything technical--boy did they change...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 13th, 2017, 11:15 AM
Factoid
Mark
Three criminals seeking revenge

Registry
Wow, as I was poking around the internet based on your earlier post, opinions are all over the place. Consensus seems to be 900-1000 psi for the LR pump and 1200-1500 for various GM pumps. There also seems to be conflicting opinions around 1) anything over ~1200 will blow the LR box seals to 2) pressure doesn’t matter as the pressure relief valve in the box simply bleeds excess pressure back to the reservoir via the return line. No one really discusses flow rate other than a couple of opinions that say there are only two. Also, the truck pressures (what you have) are consistently reported higher than the Corvette pressures (what I have) which might help explain why my steering is now just fine.

I remember Nick in a post far back in his thread saying they are compatible with several others chiming in that they agreed. This is a long post for me to tell you that I have no help for you my friend!
1975 Porsche 911 hot rod
1964 Porsche (Beck) 904

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions