Power Steering pump going out-- - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 2nd, 2015, 07:32 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Power Steering pump going out--

My power steering pump is failing--you can hear it, feel it and frothy fluid. Since my wife drives the D90, I want to replace sooner than later. I see that O'Reilly has a pump available with limited lifetime warranty for $200. MasterPro Power Steering 990-0474 - Power Steering Pump | O'Reilly Auto Parts Or I can pull one from UPull for about $30 (condition unknown). Didn't know if anyone had experience with the aftermarket pumps (this one from Mastercraft) or not?

BTW, if you see that I have a 94 and this pump is for a 97, it is because I switched front covers to get the crank driven oil pump which made me change the power steering pump...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2015, 08:02 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I would rather have a good used one than a new aftermarket/reman. I don't think they are a common failure item. Also, I assume this is the case with Defender power steering reservoirs as it is with most Land Rovers, there is a metal screen in the reservoir that gets filled with metal from the pump. I'd recommend replacing the reservoir as well. Flush the power steering system with clean fluid before you replace the pump.
Old November 3rd, 2015, 12:16 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I've been going to auto salvage You-pull type lots for years. Just found out about www.car-part.com which links to local auto part recyclers that have already pulled the parts. Sort of cool when you don't want to pull hem yourselves (like when it's raining or snowing...). Thought I'd share. Found a place rather close that has what I need--in this case a used power steering pump for $35...Not bad...ill give that a go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2015, 04:45 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Meridian in California rebuilds them.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 3rd, 2015, 06:50 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
I've been going to auto salvage You-pull type lots for years. Just found out about Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market which links to local auto part recyclers that have already pulled the parts. Sort of cool when you don't want to pull hem yourselves (like when it's raining or snowing...). Thought I'd share. Found a place rather close that has what I need--in this case a used power steering pump for $35...Not bad...ill give that a go...
Its not a ton of work to replace the pump, which is another reason to go used. I don't trust reman parts in most cases because I have seen so many problems with them at the dealership.
Old November 3rd, 2015, 08:55 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Meridian rebuilt my steering box, nothing but love for those guys. I know they are easy to replace, but still a pita when you have to do it outside in the dark after or before work and I want to get it done before Thursday. So hopefully pick it up today, put it in tomorrow morning...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions