Power Steering Pump from Autozone, any thoughts? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 21st, 2009, 06:38 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Power Steering Pump from Autozone, any thoughts?

So I bought the lifetime warranty pump from autozone for 170 bucks which comes in on Friday for my 94 ST. Does anyone have any kind or harsh words about these pumps? I mean its got a lifetime warranty, so when it eventually does wear out or leak (even if its sooner than later) I can always get another without ever paying a dime for the rest of my life. I'm sure these are rebiult pumps from discos and mabye RRCs. I don't know what do the "experts" think?

Neil

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2009, 07:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Changing the PS pump is such a PITA on a 93-95 even I would not go cheap with it.
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:45 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Lifetime warranty but how many times are you willing to replace a cheap rebuild with another cheap rebuild ?

I personally rapidly develop an attitude when dealing with the same problem over and over again- maybe its just my Scottish heritage/temper. I have heard you SoCal guys are more laid back.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2009, 07:56 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
Lifetime warranty but how many times are you willing to replace a cheap rebuild with another cheap rebuild ?

I personally rapidly develop an attitude when dealing with the same problem over and over again- maybe its just my Scottish heritage/temper. I have heard you SoCal guys are more laid back.
That or I hate myself and is very cheap. Ok a bit of both. Actually I like being the guinnea pig for autozone parts because sometimes they do work, like for example my alternator, after like 5 tries they finally gave me a good one, still using it like over 4 years! And when that one dies, I get another one forever! Same with my water pump, still going. Mabye its me but I actually enjoy working on my truck, even if I have to do work over again because its like training since i never went to a formal mechanic school. You know what I mean? I keep telling myself I get better at it with ever wrench turn.

Neil

Robert Deniro
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:04 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
LOL. Glad you got a usable alternator on the 5th try. Charles Galpin went through the same thing with his 90 but gave up when the second or third cheap one gave it up hundreds of miles from home, on a Sunday afternoon, with the wife and kids on board and forced him to check into a motel. Frugality has a flip side/downside that sometimes feels like an ex wife smacking you in the face- don't ask how I know about that.
See signature line.....

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 21st, 2009, 08:06 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
LOL. Glad you got a usable alternator on the 5th try. Charles Galpin went through the same thing with his 90 but gave up when the second or third cheap one gave it up hundreds of miles from home, on a Sunday afternoon, with the wife and kids on board and forced him to check into a motel. Frugality has a flip side/downside that sometimes feels like an ex wife smacking you in the face- don't ask how I know about that.
See signature line.....
I date cheap women, I have no kids, never travel further than 50-70 away from home and I always carry a H&K USP .45 with UTL weapons dedicated lighting and/two 20 & 10 round magazines.

Robert Deniro
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:52 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Neil,

You are free to come work on my trucks whenever you run out of stuff to do on yours.

Ron
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

I actually got one of these once from Advance Auto Parts. If it is the same one I got you may have some issues. It was only the pump and not the resevoir or casing around the pump. Weird I know. There seemed no good way to pull the old casing off and put it on the new pump, so I sent it back and ordered the real deal.

As far as pulling the pump and replacing it I don't remember it being that difficult. I just did the pump in my 76 Vette. Now you wanna talk a PITA....wholy cow.

B
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Neil,

You are free to come work on my trucks whenever you run out of stuff to do on yours.

Ron
If you lived closer I'd be down. WCambell I didn't know it didn't come with the casing around the pump. I'm going to call them to find out. Thanks!

Neil

Robert Deniro
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley
If you lived closer I'd be down. WCambell I didn't know it didn't come with the casing around the pump. I'm going to call them to find out. Thanks!

Neil
It may or may not. Mine was a cheap one, around the same price as I remember, and mine didn't have it and the schlep at Advance didn't say anything about it.

Bill
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcampbel@nas.edu
It may or may not. Mine was a cheap one, around the same price as I remember, and mine didn't have it and the schlep at Advance didn't say anything about it.

Bill
I just talked with my friend who works at Autozone and he says he can't tell from the picture but that the part is comming tomorrow so we'll find out then. I told him about the case issue and he said that if it dosen't come with the case, he knows a guy that can pull the case off the old one and put it on the new one. He said this guys has done many of their pumps for his customers so we'll see. Meanwhile I just got off the phone with keith and he says the pump should come with the housing attached as thats how he sells them. My price is $381!!!! Thats original equiptment. Lets see how the autozone pump comes out first then if it is too much trouble I'll order the original part. Thanks!

Neil

Robert Deniro
Old November 6th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Just wondering if there was any update to this. I've got a power steering leak that I can't find, and when I run out of hoses to swap I'm going to have to change the pump.

On a lesser note: Any of you guys still have your failed pumps laying around? I'm wondering of the KRC aluminum bodied pumps would fit?

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Raleigh D90
Ben
Somewhere Across Town

just had mine replaced for nearly 400 bucks brand new, but just today noticed roversdownsouth has them for like 275 NOS on their site. FYI.... NAPA also has them pretty cheap with a core charge, but my mechanic said he would stand behind the 400 one and since all the lines were being replaced and I plan on keeping it a while, I went with his choice just for the fact that if it did goof up, he would replace it. So, likely only 100K more miles to go before I get my monies worth!!!

Good luck.
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I'm just being forced to be cheap here though, dumped a pile of cash into the truck over the past year, and my "to-do" list is still pretty long and expensive.

Plus, I like looking to improve things as well if I have to replace it already.

Old November 6th, 2009, 10:41 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
I'm just being forced to be cheap here though, dumped a pile of cash into the truck over the past year, and my "to-do" list is still pretty long and expensive.

Plus, I like looking to improve things as well if I have to replace it already.
I got a used one you can have cheap if you want really cheap.
Old November 7th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Used but functional? If you can wait until after the 15th, I think we can work out a deal either way. Even if it's a dead unit, I'd still be interested even if only to allow me to measure one outside of the truck.

Old November 8th, 2009, 07:13 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Ive tried a used PS pump, bad idea. Any updates on the autozone replacement, my Classic sounds like a ford ranger.
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:12 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

What do they sound like when they are going bad? My SW sounds like I am stretching a cable when I turn left. It is not a CV, so I am thinking PS Pump.

Old November 8th, 2009, 08:42 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
sounds like a Ford Ranger or Ford Taurus from the early/mid 90's
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Used but functional? If you can wait until after the 15th, I think we can work out a deal either way. Even if it's a dead unit, I'd still be interested even if only to allow me to measure one outside of the truck.
came out of JimC's running 110. I can wait, it is stiting in my garage.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht