Power Steering Lines - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 9th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Fluid level is ok I assume? May be some air in the system if it had gotten low, can take a while to work it all out of the pump and box.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2011, 10:40 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Fluid level is good. Looks clean too
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:51 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Got my new pump in the mail today and my steering box to reservoir line. My truck is an early 94 and the line looks like it will route slightly differently than the original one. I double checked the part number I needed and what as on all the sites and it looks correct. Just wondering what others have experienced.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2011, 09:16 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I would think vbelt defenders would have the same hose configuration. It may be a range rover hose.

There is a line on the side of the pump that really is bhelpful to have another person help with.
Old October 12th, 2011, 09:25 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Hose numbers match what I should have and the pic online on all sites matches
Old October 13th, 2011, 12:01 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Got my new pump in the mail today and my steering box to reservoir line. My truck is an early 94 and the line looks like it will route slightly differently than the original one. I double checked the part number I needed and what as on all the sites and it looks correct. Just wondering what others have experienced.

Thanks
Barry - the PS lines and A/C lines route differently on SOME early '94's - When I was having all the problems with my ECR oil lines, Mike figured out that mine were routed differently than nearly every D90 he had seen. This may be the case with yours.
Old October 13th, 2011, 12:28 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Yes, welcome to the early 94 club. So much weird shit on our trucks. I installed some GBR-built diffs last year, only to find out that the flanges on the diff body were thinner on my stock diffs, which probably came from leftover RRC stock. I had to order some longer lugs for the axle tube in order to get all of the securing nuts on.
Old October 13th, 2011, 02:19 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I just looked at a friends 95 and it seems the line in question is different. The one I got in the mail matches what he has but the one on my truck looks different. Hopefully it will install without an issue but who knows. That is the line that I think is causing the noises I am hearing with frame rub. I think the new one doesn't touch the frame as much.
Old October 13th, 2011, 08:04 AM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

I made the mistake of replacing the PS lines on my 94. What a pain. I was trying to be proactive since the rubber sections were seeping. I went through 2 different sets of lines. They just never lined up the same as my original lines. I really had to play with things to get it to work correctly- a little bend here and there to get everything back together. In hind sight, I should have just had the rubber sections replaced by a hydraulic shop but another lesson learned. Hope yours fit!
Old October 13th, 2011, 10:57 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Well I can tell you the lines I bought will never line up with what is there now but I know they line up with my friends 95. I just have to route like he did and it should be fine. It looks like they improved the routing on the line in question. Less metal attached to frame to vibrate and drive me insane. Still waiting on the other lines to come before I do anything.
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:05 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Replacing my pump and lines Saturday. Any reason to keep the old pump?
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:15 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

The ID for the oddball 94s is to look at the AC filter/drier.
If it has a 90 degree fitting that faces down on the front, you have the early 94 set up and it is all unique to those few models.
It got my head scratcher going pretty good on those oil cooler lines, but after digging around all the 90s in the yard a solution was found.
Like Chris said... welcome to the early 94 90 club, nothing is exactly the same in that club.

Just FYI we have hard odd metal groaning noises from steering systems that we chased forever. Just like yours they only happened to one side and would do it with the truck sitting still as well. In the end it was the steering box. No lash adjustments would cure it. Box operated fine and did not leak, but made the groaning noise. Only solution we found in those cases was to replace the steering box, problem gone.
Your mileage may vary.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old October 20th, 2011, 11:29 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Thanks Mike

Ugh wish I knew this earlier. Would have gotten a box too. Wondering now if I should hold off and just order a box too.

------ Follow up post added October 20th, 2011 08:30 PM ------

Any chance if you knew if it was happening with the truck jacked up and the engine off? Mine doesn't do it unless the engine is on.
Old October 21st, 2011, 08:15 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Thanks Mike

Ugh wish I knew this earlier. Would have gotten a box too. Wondering now if I should hold off and just order a box too.

------ Follow up post added October 20th, 2011 08:30 PM ------

Any chance if you knew if it was happening with the truck jacked up and the engine off? Mine doesn't do it unless the engine is on.

You shoulda asked me.

Correct. Fluid pressure must be in the box (engine running).
If I were you I would replace the box only. There is no need to replace anything else (unless you want to).

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old October 21st, 2011, 10:39 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Ordered a box. I am replacing everything. No way I want to take the box out and find out later it was the pump. My OCD can't handle that.
Old October 21st, 2011, 11:23 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Flush the system fully before putting in the new bits.
Old October 21st, 2011, 02:18 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

If the pump, lines, and box are new is there anything even left to flush other than money down the toilet?
Old October 21st, 2011, 02:28 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I guess just the reservoir if you are replacing the lines, but there are hard lines down by the frame I'm guessing you are not replacing too. Save $20 and don't flush it - you'll be fine
Old October 21st, 2011, 04:23 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Wait what hardline by the frame?
I have three new lines. Is there more?

So with the box I am sending the old one to Meriden for a core refund. Is the pump worth keeping?
Old October 21st, 2011, 04:29 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Do you have pictures of the lines? The ones that come from the reservoir are soft lines to a hard line, then another soft line to the pump and steering gearbox. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that they sell just the rubber portions and you re-use your hard lines. Stick your head under your truck and look at the back side of the front cross member, below the fan shroud. Those are the hard lines I am referring to.

I have no idea on the pump.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions