Power Steering inconsistent - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 25th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Power Steering inconsistent

So, maybe its the cold weather doing a number on old seals/o-rings, but my power steering (RHD D110) developed an inconsistent assist pattern over the past week.
Starts out a bit stiff (but still has some assist), then after 1/2 turn of the wheel the assist increases and then it becomes less again after another 1/2 turn or so.

The reservior is full and I didn't see any leaks along any of the lines and the pump appears fine (no squealing or other noises), so I'm focusing on the PS box itself.

Is there a wear item (o-ring kit, bushing kit or something) that can be replaced in-situ, or should I be looking for a replacement box?

did a search and found a thread within a thread on the box replacement in an older Tjfslaughter thread: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=16765 but that doesn't really help me diagnose the problem, only the replacement.

I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to find a RHD steering box around with all of the conversions that have been done over the years, but I'd like to start with diagnosing it and perhaps refurbishing what I have first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Yes, the pump and belt look okay.
I imagine that if the pump was on the way out or gone, there would be no assistance whatsoever, so again correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm looking at the box as suspect.
Old January 25th, 2014, 10:58 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Air bubble. Try bleeding it. There is a nipple on the top of the box.

Sometimes they go bad internally and do that, but I would start with the easy path.
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Awesome, thanks Ron. I'll start there tomorrow.
Is it fussy with what type of PS fluid?
Old January 26th, 2014, 02:26 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Awesome, thanks Ron. I'll start there tomorrow. Is it fussy with what type of PS fluid?
Cheap dextron mercon ATF is what it takes.
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Well, I tried bleeding and it didn't improve, but it was 10 degrees outside so I'll try it again to make sure I didn't cut any corners. I did notice that the fluid in the reservoir appeared a little "frothy", but that could be because I went through a few full opposite lock cycles .

I just don't see how it could be the pump. I mean if the pump provides pressure it would probably be consistent pressure rather than in "waves", at least based on my understanding of how hydraulic pumps operate.

Now, if the box had a worn component like a worm screw or someone, that would seem like it could cause the "on/off" feel I'm talking about....maybe?

I just would rather know with more certainty before swapping the box out.
Old January 26th, 2014, 08:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Could be a leak in a line, but I would guess the box is toast if bleeding did not help. I am out of ideas.
Old January 26th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Yeah, I'm going to drive as-is until the weather gets better or I can schedule some time in a warm garage. I haven't seen any fluid leaking so I would guess its a leak but I should have a better look.
I should probably start looking for a box just in case.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions