power steering hose renewal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 27th, 2010, 10:23 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
power steering hose renewal

Hey everyone,

Looks like my power steering hose has given up. After 27 years, it's cracked and seeping fluid. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to renew these? The metal tube and all banjo connections are good. Just the rubber is cracked. I cannot find replacement for a 1983 3.5 V8 RHD anywhere. I was thinking of just renewing the rubber hose myself. Is this hard to do? Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Best bet is to pull it out, take it to a hydraulic shop, and have them put in new rubber sections.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 27th, 2010, 10:48 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Any hydraulic shop should be able to do it. On LHD trucks the job is made 100x easier by the updated hose that has an additional rubber section so you can actually fit it without bending the snot out of it. Should not be an issue on a RHD truck as the box is on the same side as the res. I am shocked that you can't find the hose though. RN should be able to get it or check lrseries or someone.
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Due to time constraints to make it to the MAR, I had a hose made up for my 90. We went to a Parker hydraulic store and they were able to make the hose but I had to cut the old ferrules away. For this used a dremel being very careful not to cut into the metal pipe. We then returned with the hose still assembled, but the old ferrules removed. Remember if you do this that some applications the hose ends need to be oriented a certain way so that the hose is not twisted when installed. If that is the case with your setup make sure you communicate that to the hose assembler in a way that they can understand and not fawk it up. Also they were somewhat reluctant when I said it was a power steering hose. Not sure why, but they did it anyway, works great, probably better than the factory junk and cheaper too. Though I did have to spend the better part of a day to get it done. YMMV...
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:50 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Thanks guys. So no chance of doing it at home with hand tools? Will have to find a hydraulic shop in Orlando.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:58 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If it is the low pressure ones you can just hose clamp them (at least I did and it was "ron good"), high pressure ones, no way.

Seriously, just order new ones. I think it was like $125 for all of them.

Here is one for 8ukp

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product...%20hose&page=3

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions