Power Steering hose - major pain... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:41 PM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

Power Steering hose - major pain...

My 'box to reservoir' hose on my d-90 was leaking from the rubber hose section. It look like the hose was replace once before as the rubber part was hose clamped to the rigid part.

Anyway, I figured I might as well replace them all. The genuine replacement parts arrived and I'm a bit concerned with the fitment. There seems to be a bit too much hose twist where the rubber section meets the rigid section that screws into the top of the steering box. I'm afraid that the the twisting of the hose is going to restrict fluid flow.

The crimp fittings (between the metal and rubber hose sections) don't swivel so I don't know what to do. It's almost as if the needs to rotate 45 degrees. so that it does not twist too much.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:26 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Where did you buy the parts? I'd return the line and ask for a replacement. Alternately, take the new hose to local shop that does hydraulic lines and have them put a new piece of hose on in the correct position.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:37 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

Before you disconnect anything try to match up what you bought and what is there. They kinda move around when you install them, and they can be tweeked a little during installation, but that should give you a starting place to see if they are incorrect hoses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:39 PM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

The part came from Atlantic British. It was genuine and sealed. Not sure what's going on...
Such a pain to have to take it all out again...nothing is easy on these things!

------ Follow up post added March 2nd, 2011 03:08 PM ------

I tried matching up the old part to the new one- the old one is pretty mangled from the removal but the hose section is a bit more forgiving to twists.

I might just wait to see if it loosens up after the fluid starts flowing.

Does anyone jaw an accurate picture showing how the hoses are routed?
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

see the attached picture. This is the hose I have (P/N qeh102380). As you can see, the hard fitting end has a 90 degree up turn.

When mounting this hose, the rubber hose section prior to the hard fitting rises up from the frame. The 90 degree part then needs to be turned down int the steering box. As you can see from the pic, it turns up.

I'm starting to think I might have this router incorrectly?

So frustrating...a one hour job is an all day event!
Attached Images

Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The stock hoses really, really, suck. This is not an uncommon experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:15 PM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

Trust me I know. But I have an aftermarket hose as well....it's even worse. almost totally rigid and impossible to fit.

If someone could post a picture of the top of the steering box...I just want to see how the hoses are router, perhaps that would be enough for me to figure this out.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:28 PM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

Here's a pic of how I have the hose currently routed. I don't see any other way of doing it that untwists the hose.
Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1926.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	36350  
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:40 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
The original power steering hoses are typical factory type. They are made by a giant machine by the thousands in order to keep costs low. They get the job done and that's about all you can say about them. If you don't mind a small investment then I recommend that you upgrade to the type with braided stainless sleeving and AN type fittings. These are available from Jegs, Summit, etc and go by trade names such as Earl's, Aeroquip and by house brand. Most speed shops can make you whatever you need as it requires both some experience with the fittings as well as some special tools to assemble them. The power steering fittings on the Rover box are standard inverted flare and you can certainly get the custom hoses done up to fit. Swivel ends can be incorporated to help with installation. Hoses won't collapse or kink and withstand heat, cold, blah blah blah. Conquer!

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:45 PM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

That's good idea...so, if someone want to make me a nice custom set for my 1994 NAS d-90, at this point, I'd be happy to pay your asking price as I just want to be done with this!
Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:18 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I see what you are fighting. I can try to take some pictures for you tomorrow. Looks like you could use some extra length there.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:16 AM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

Thanks Jim. The last thing I want to do it blow the steering box because of a lack of fluid which is why I am concerned about the hose twist.
In hindsight, I should have just replaced the leaking rubber section on the original line and this would have been a non-issue...another rover lesson learner the hard way!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:17 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Tim,

Did you ever find a solution to this? I ran into the same issue and ever since i replaced my lines my pump gets loud when it gets hot.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:55 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Back when I had a "gasser" 90, I moved the whole fluid reservoir straight up from the steering box on the drivers fender edge. Cut out all that hose & pipe weirdness. Use a tube cutter and save the metal ends on the pump & buy some good hose &4 clamps & you're done
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:52 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
That might help my flow. The pump wasn't this loud until i changed the lines. It weird that my pump is quieter when i turn the wheel than when its stationary. No problems with turning the wheels either. Sounds like there is air in it, even though its been bled quite a few times. And it only does it when its hot.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:40 PM
timtimtj
Tim Blanco
1994 Defender 90

I never came up with a very elegant solution so after hours of trying to get it right, I just twisted the metal section a quarter turn which let the hoses open up a bit. It's not perfect but I have not had a problem since.

-Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveridin1959 View Post
Tim,

Did you ever find a solution to this? I ran into the same issue and ever since i replaced my lines my pump gets loud when it gets hot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions