Power steering help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 26th, 2007, 08:46 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Power steering help

So I replaced my steering box because of the leaking and the system begun to whine in the cold mornings.

I have replaced all the lines and the box.. It dosn't seem to be leaking at any of the junctions, I bled the crap out of it (per manual), and the whine is still there.

Is there any other possible problem here except a bad pump?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2007, 10:02 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Is the fluid clear red or does it look like a strawberry milkshake? If it's clear red more then likely it's the pump. If it looks like a milkshake it still has air in the system. I have found that Charlie Haigh had a great trick of bleeding the box on first startup in the morning since at that point the air is at the top or the box. I hope this helps.

Eric
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:16 PM
D90user
steve

I'll try to bleed it first thing in the morning Eric. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

Just curious are you opening the bleeder on top of the gear box to expel the air trapped inside it???
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:24 PM
D90user
steve

Yep, bleeding bleeding from the top skrew on the PS box just like the maunal says. I must have bled at least a liter of two of fluid through it so far. That was yesterday and now it has sat overnight and I'll try to do it again.

I hope it is not the pump.
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You have a Tdi right? If so, it's most likely the pump. Sorry. Good news is it's not too troublesome to pull it and have it rebuilt. I think mine cost $69 for a rebuild and tweak to 3 gpm.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 27th, 2007, 04:59 PM
D90user
steve

I think you are right buck, I bled and bled and bled and still the whine and bubbles in the resivior.

I have never had one rebuilt, what kind of shop did you take your too? Does Meridian do an exchange?
Old January 27th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I can get you name of the one I used if you want to ship it to Cali, but I am sure there are shops near you. I used a power steering rebuild shop. They also helped set up my hydro-assist. The 300Tdi has a great little pump, but from what I understand they often slow down over the years.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 27th, 2007, 09:46 PM
D90user
steve

I'll try to find one local, but thanks for the offer. Did the shop you used have to order a LR rebuild kit or something or did they have the proper stuff on hand?

So you went with the hydro assist, i didn't know that. How has it worked for you?
Old January 27th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
I'll try to find one local, but thanks for the offer. Did the shop you used have to order a LR rebuild kit or something or did they have the proper stuff on hand?

So you went with the hydro assist, i didn't know that. How has it worked for you?
The shop had everything on hand. They said that it shared a lot of similar parts with other pumps, although it was the first Rover one they had done. I went to hydro assist about a year ago. I really didn't have a choice with the tire size I run. It is frekin' awesome. If I pull up next to a huge rock and turn into it, the tire will push the entire truck away from the rock with one hand. I would put it near the top of the list of mods I've made to this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5260237.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	8018  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 29th, 2007, 04:00 PM
D90user
steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
The shop had everything on hand. They said that it shared a lot of similar parts with other pumps, although it was the first Rover one they had done. I went to hydro assist about a year ago. I really didn't have a choice with the tire size I run. It is frekin' awesome. If I pull up next to a huge rock and turn into it, the tire will push the entire truck away from the rock with one hand. I would put it near the top of the list of mods I've made to this point.
As always all I can say is WOW with regards to your setup.
Old January 29th, 2007, 04:35 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Just a quick hijack... Buck, I really like those Tie Rod ends... The look a lot stronger and last longer too. I have not seen them in person, but I have seen one other theard about them on another forum. Are they expensive and are they service able?

Thanks,
Scott

Old January 29th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Just a quick hijack... Buck, I really like those Tie Rod ends... The look a lot stronger and last longer too. I have not seen them in person, but I have seen one other theard about them on another forum. Are they expensive and are they service able?

Thanks,
Scott
Thanks a lot guys! Which ends are you referring too? The uppers or lowers? The lowers are 1.25in. Way overkill for most applications!! The uppers are 3/4 and would be great for a rover application. They go for around $30 a piece for good ones. They come in both greasable and standard. As well as teflon and all can be rebuilt. They will last longer than a standard TRE, but sometimes have less misalignment, so you have to be sure they will work.

In a matter of minutes after I post this someone will most likely tell you they can't be used on the street. They are just fine on the street, and work very well for DD driving. Hope it helps! Dave

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Where did you get them? Did they come in standard Rover thead pattern or would I need to rethread my Rovertym Uper and RoverTrack rear Track Rods?

Thanks,

Scott

Old January 30th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Where did you get them? Did they come in standard Rover thead pattern or would I need to rethread my Rovertym Uper and RoverTrack rear Track Rods?

Thanks,

Scott
Hey,

I am not sure what the rover thread is so I am not sure if they fit. Knowing LR they probably used some uber-rare queensland crazy thread. Rovertym could have used any thread I suppose. You can buy them anywhere really. Most 4w shops have them. Do you have a rear track rod?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:10 PM
D90user
steve

Buck I sent you a PM Re: the shop in So Cal, everyone around here says at least $250 to rebuild.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions