Power Steering fluid not red but pink- - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Power Steering fluid not red but pink-

Put new fluid in the system and bled it the other day after all the old fluid was drained during the rebuild and now after running truck a bit the fluid is more of a pink color and appears foamy.

Could this be due to some water in the lines?

If so I guess the only way it could be in there was when we cleaned the reservoir and lines. But that was so long ago it hard to imagine water would still be in there.

Ideas? Also I used dexron ATF in it and is a deep red color. The steering seems to work just as well btw.

Do I need to drain it and replace?

Thanks for the help. Never encountered this issue before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:37 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My guess would be air in the lines, especially with the "foamy" and enough air bubbling around and foaming up is going to make it look pink. I'd check all connections to make sure they are tight/etc, but you're not getting a groan or anything when turning the wheel from side-to-side? Are you sure the fluid level (after it's sat for awhile) is sufficient? Also, if it sits overnight or for a day or so does the "foamy" go away? Not sure how long it would take to settle down to be honest, but does sound like air in the system or an air leak - maybe go through the bleeding process again unless anyone else has a better suggestion.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Thanks Jeff. Will do.

The only fluid in the system was the same ATF fluid as far as I remember. That was over 5 years ago when I took the 90 apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Checked level today and it is up.

Have not driven it much I will see how it plays out.

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions