Power Steering - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 30th, 2010, 09:37 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Power Steering

Thought I'd post this here since it is a 2.5 petrol engine. I have a '83 110 with a 2.5 petrol engine. Until I swap the motor not having any form of power steering is difficult.

Can I add power steering to the truck and if so what parts am I looking at needing? Ideas on were to source them for less than new prices?

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2010, 01:40 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
unlike the newer models where they use a pump plumbed into the steering box, I have seen series with something of what looks like hydraulic cylinder attached to the track rod where the damper goes on newer models.
on the other hand, could you retrofilt a newer steering box (from disco or range rover) on to your frame mounts?
that way you could use a set up from the v8 models.
Old December 30th, 2010, 01:45 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
LHD or RHD? Can you take a picture of your current steering box and steering shaft? Since it's a defender I imagine the right steering gearbox from a power assist model would bolt right on. Not sure about the pump on a 2.5 though.

How about some pictures in general. This is the one ECR worked on for you? What did they do if not an engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
since the truck is a defender should this be in the series technical thread ? I have a rhd power steering box I could sell you, but don't have a power steering pump for 2.5 petrol. They did fit them and the parts are available.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
since the truck is a defender should this be in the series technical thread ?
Yup. moved.
Old December 30th, 2010, 05:23 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
LHD or RHD? Can you take a picture of your current steering box and steering shaft? Since it's a defender I imagine the right steering gearbox from a power assist model would bolt right on. Not sure about the pump on a 2.5 though.

How about some pictures in general. This is the one ECR worked on for you? What did they do if not an engine?
I could take photos but then I'd have to go out in the snow...

ECR did the LHD conversion and installed a SD cage- among numerous other things to get her up and running strong. Didn't think the lack of power steering would be as irritating as it is. A girl can only spend so much money on her Rover at one time before she gets in trouble. just looking to make steering my cruise ship a bit easier.
Old December 30th, 2010, 05:27 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Picture please!

Old December 30th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
I could take photos but then I'd have to go out in the snow...

ECR did the LHD conversion and installed a SD cage- among numerous other things to get her up and running strong. Didn't think the lack of power steering would be as irritating as it is. A girl can only spend so much money on her Rover at one time before she gets in trouble. just looking to make steering my cruise ship a bit easier.

Then any disco 1 or RRC non-leaking steering box will directly replace the lhd manual box you have now-they go for about 100 for decent used ones. The power steering pump and bracket would be the hardest parts to source and they should be easy

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 30th, 2010, 06:33 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Picture please!
http://eastcoastrover.com/233.html

Until I can find the camera and it stops snowing.

Is power steering engine specific? For example if I swap the motor down the road will I have to get a new set up?

Alex
Old December 30th, 2010, 07:41 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

A NAS style PS box will bolt right up. We even used the NAS safety-break steering shaft (so you don't get the steering shaft through the chest in an accident) when we did the LHD conversion.
The PITA will be the pump set up. The lower pulley on the engine has a second groove already, so it would not be that bad to fab up a mount and get a pump installed.

If you go with a different engine the box could remain, but the lines and the pump mount would need to change again.

I'm not sure if they offered PS with the 2.5 petrol. They might have, but I tend to doubt it as the engine needs all the power it can get and running a PS pump was probably not in the cards in the 1980s.

Try increasing the front tire pressures some. It might wear tires faster, but may help a tiny bit (really tiny bit) with low speed steering effort.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 30th, 2010, 10:50 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
There you have it! I agree on the tire pressure. If you get them nice and hard it will turn much easier.

charles
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:17 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias
I gotta see this thing sometime when I'm in Denver. BTW, beautiful harlequin.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old December 31st, 2010, 08:15 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
My 2.5 petrol had PS

My 90 came with a 2.5 petrol that had LHD power steering. While the truck was painfully under powered, the power steering worked well.

The pump was set up on the left hand side with a bracket, which I still have.(but the main bracket which attaches to the block, I don't have) There is also a Tensioner that was on a pivot on its own arm.

It seems there were 2 setups, like mine was, and then the pics below, where the tension adj was made mo simple(like pics)

I actually used parts of the 2.5 petrol Power steering on my 200tdi so there may be some crossover, but the main piece ERC6974 looks like its NLA

Another good thing is that if you go to a 200tdi down the road like I do its pretty much the same setup. I got a $500 PS pump for the 2.5 petrol a couple of months before the swap that I was able to fit on the 200tdi.
My 200tdi swap was a Big Improvement over the 2.5 petrol, and dropped right in, same engine mounts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PS2.5.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	34381   Click image for larger version

Name:	ps200tdi.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	34382  

Old January 1st, 2011, 10:32 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Thanks for the info. On another note the steering is significantly better on snow pack.

Here are a few photos of the truck now, not much different from what ECR has on their site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TCO_123110_1562.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	34428   Click image for larger version

Name:	TCO_123110_1563.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	34429  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions