Power Locks in a ST? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 16th, 2005, 12:29 PM
mod4b
RK
97 ST

Power Locks in a ST?

I have searched around and only found info on power locks in a SW. Has anyone attached an alarm and setup power door locks in their ST?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I don't think it's going to happen at least not without changing the handle to the SW style. If you take the plastic panel off you will see that the door latch and lock are inside the same steel box (small box, not enough room for a lock actuator). I don't think anyone has done it either as most ST owners don't lock the door, if you lock the door and someone wants in, they can just cut the top to get in with a knife, unless you have a fiberglass top, but that's pretty easy to break into too.
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:18 PM
mod4b
RK
97 ST

Hey, thanks for the reply.
I did take the door skin off and the steel box is very small. I am planning to go with a fiberglass top in the future and was hoping to secure everything with power locks for ease of use. But as you point out, that is going to be difficult-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

You could do actuators but not easy, you would have to drill into that box. And if your locks are like mine they are hard to lock/unlock and the actuators don't push all that hard. But I know what you are getting at, it's a pain to have to use the key to lock the door, unlike most cars that you can lock it by pushing the lock down. But at least you can't lock the keys in it!
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:43 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

There's a thread here on power locks for push-button doors and there was a website (UK?) that had a solution for the rear door. that's the same type for the ST doors right? Give it a search.
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Ntajeep
Matthew Bremner
1997 AA Yellow D90

If you are worried about security, get an alarm with radar sensor. I think mine is an alpine that has a small box in my center console that will expand a radar field if the touch sensor goes off. So if someone accidently bumps it, it will not go off, unless there hands and body are in the truck. The loud noise has deterred everyone from grabbing my stuff. The only time the 90 has been broken into, is when the alarm was broken and luckily my stereo was also broken and getting fixed. They easily got into the center console lock box and were pretty disappointed when the stereo was not there.
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:55 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

There another option.
A while back, I saw a door latch for the rear SW door, which had another "rod" comming out of the steel casing of the door latch. THis was for the power door lock actuation solenoid. If you can find out where to get this type of door latch, and replace yours, then of course, the rest is trivial.

-arbi
Old June 17th, 2005, 01:42 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Get a issue of Hot Rodder or Hot Rod magazine. There are tons of companies that sell power locks that you may be able to retrofit to your ST.
Old June 17th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
If you want better security and are getting the fiberglass hardtop, you can always swap out your door for the SW doors. It should be a direct swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
...And if your locks are like mine ...
You actually have doors Mike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
...But I know what you are getting at, it's a pain to have to use the key to lock the door,
...hence, you took your doors off!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 17th, 2005, 02:32 PM
mod4b
RK
97 ST

I did consider swapping out the doors, but decided to avoid the hassle of paint etc.
Security is a concern (San Francisco street parking), but alarms go off all the time in my neighborhood and therefore no one blinks when they hear one. I was just hoping for a faster way to lock up once I have a hard top.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions