Power Lock install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 14th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Power Lock install

has anyone ever tried to install aftermarket power locks in their D? Seriously thinking about it as my D is my DD, and it would be frikin' handy, particularly with kids. The kits I have seen have water resistant actuators, which makes periodic dunking ok, and not hard to replace when it's not ok. Interested in any kits that have worked.

My assumption is the rear door on the stationwagons is not power-lockable, and I'm ok with that. I also have no intention of going to power windows. The A/C and powerlocks is as luxury as I want to get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Monkeyboy

I've seen a UK vendor with kits for the passenger doors and / or the rear door.

I don't have the info at home, but will add it tomorrow unless someone adds it beforehand.

KAA
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:22 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

My 90 came with some aftermarket door locks. I drove it for about 1 1/2 yrs b/4 they completely crapped out on me. Now I'm back to manual. I think the cold weather had something to do with them failing. They were nice while they lasted but I'm not planning on replacing them. I pulled the door apart to see if I could fix them but they were so cheap looking that I left it alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Monkeyboy

Thanks for the reminder...

I saw them at http://www.falcon4x4.com/cgi-bin/ss0...=17&ACTION.y=7

No personal experitnce or association with the vendor, just somthing I recall seeing.

KAA
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
That's a great start. Thanks Keith. And locking for the backdoor!
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:06 AM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

Does anyone have power locks on the rear door? With 2 kids that love to get in and out of the back it sure would come in handy. I know the current Defenders have power locks on the rear. Does anyone know the parts needed and a place to order them?
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
On my RRC I ripped out the troublesome central locking system and put in an aftermarket system that I found on ebay for 35 bucks. It worked pretty good and I don't see why it would not work on defender doors. I think they are all pretty much the same, but I will look and try to fins something similar. Suppose one could get a bunch of mercedes door actuators and the ecu and build your won, might cost a bit more but better quality components.
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:26 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

I think the problem with the stock rear latch is that it dosen't have any mechanism to allow a power actuator to lock or unlock it. The new defenders have a different latch mechanism so I need to track that down prior to putting in a power actuator.
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:18 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Hello from Iraq, gents.

I installed some of the aforementioned inexpensive Ebay lock solenoids in my front doors several months ago while installing power windows, but never got around to wiring them up permanently before deploying (as part of an alarm install). Testing did actuate the locks, however and I'm sure it'll work when I finish the install after I get home in a month or so. (The power windows work great. )

This link I stumbled across a few days ago is for someone who made the rear door work, although the solution may not appeal to everyone. http://la7dja.org/defender/cdl/

My front door solenoids look very similar to those shown on that page. I looked at a few dfferent ones listed online, and there are some that seem to be made better and/or be more weather resistant. I bought two different kinds and installed the ones seemingly tougher when they arrived.

Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:26 PM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
has anyone ever tried to install aftermarket power locks in their D? Seriously thinking about it as my D is my DD, and it would be frikin' handy, particularly with kids. The kits I have seen have water resistant actuators, which makes periodic dunking ok, and not hard to replace when it's not ok. Interested in any kits that have worked.

My assumption is the rear door on the stationwagons is not power-lockable, and I'm ok with that. I also have no intention of going to power windows. The A/C and powerlocks is as luxury as I want to get.
I just ripped out my aftermarket powerlocks on my D110. They worked for a while, then the right rear door worked sometimes, and would not let you out, then went the left rear door, then after talking to a LR mechenic, I was advised that they don't last long, so out they went, and back to the key, and remembering to lock back doors manually.This install did not include the rear cargo door. This install/ tearout was done in Costa Rica, where 110's are quite common, and I am told so is the problem with them lasting. Reguardless of location, I think the parts themselfs just don't hold up. For me it is one less thing to break!
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:50 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

Rovers North sells the genuine parts for power locks/windows. The quote I got was about $700 for everything including wiring, switches, etc... Not sure if the genuine parts are tougher or not. You would think they would be but who knows.
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:01 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

Found the part. Rovers North can order them but they don't keep them in stock. Its a late model latch set that features drivers side, passenger side, and rear lock/latch mechanisms that will allow power actuators to lock and unlock them.

Part#: FQM000130

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...-defender.aspx
Old January 13th, 2010, 08:25 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Remember that the rear door power lock set up is located on the top of the latch assem. So it will be visible and will need a mounting location as your NAS door frame and rear trim will not cover it.
This 90 has a new rear door. You can see the buldge on the panel above the latch assem. That is where the power lock system goes.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/94.html

We have a new door going together in a week or so for another truck (under paint right now) I can take a picture of the set up.
I can't belive all that stuff is under one part #. Rover usually doesn't work like that.
Rover power lock parts look exactly like aftermarket power lock bits to me.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:44 AM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

Taking a picture of the set up would be great. If you can please snap a pic and post it for us. What does a new back door run?
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:55 AM
fleabus
Dan
None :(

I installed power door locks on my 97SW... the actuators were about $15 each from some car stereo place (forget the brand) and I wired them up to the Clifford car alarm the previous owner had installed... arm/lock and disarm/unlock... been working great for 5+ years now. The truck is my DD so it is a nice feature to have.

Didn't do the rear door... I just use the key.
Old January 14th, 2010, 07:52 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quick hijack if you don't mind. Mike, what product do you guys use to seal the joints in aluminum with (like on that top)?

Thanks,
charles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:10 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Quick hijack if you don't mind. Mike, what product do you guys use to seal the joints in aluminum with (like on that top)?

Thanks,
charles
We use SEM products for that type of job. There are tons of different types depending on what you want the product to do. We use a self leveling product for the gutter and then a flexible stuff for the panel and a normal type of stuff for the inside. SEM is great stuff and they have great product support.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:15 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Thanks Mike, I'll look into those.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions