Power Door Locks have a mind of their own - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 4th, 2012, 12:04 PM
D110
Jamie
1955 107

Registry
Power Door Locks have a mind of their own

Recently the power door locks in my '97 D90SW have developed a mind of their own, especially when opening or closing a door (they lock, unlock and sometimes lock again without me touching the remote). I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and how they went about troubleshooting. I'm guessing that there is a bad ground or a loose wire somewhere, but I'm not sure where to start looking. Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2012, 02:59 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
Do you know what door lock system you have installed?
Old March 4th, 2012, 04:53 PM
D110
Jamie
1955 107

Registry
I'm not sure, but I believe it originally came from the dealer with the power locks. I'm guessing that these were installed in the US by the dealers as an option and not the factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2012, 04:48 PM
D110
Jamie
1955 107

Registry
Feeling a bit stupid.... looked at my remote today which has "Viper" clearly stamped on it. Found a wire that had been cut and reconnected, but it hasn't solved the problem. Thinking I may just pull the panels off and take the whole power lock, alarm system out as it is driving me nuts.
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:11 PM
D110
Jamie
1955 107

Registry
Here's what I have found - The passenger side door will not lock or unlock with the remote or when I use the key in the driver's side door, but if I use the key in the passenger side door it will lock/unlock the drivers side as well. When I use the remote it will lock the driver's door, but when I go to unlock it, it unlocks for about 1 second and then locks it again.
I'm assuming the passenger side actuator is shot (couldn't find any bad connections) but could this be what is causing the unlocking then re-locking behavior on the driver's side?
I'm considering pulling the whole system out....
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:47 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I had the exact same issue on my truck (the drivers door was the problem).

Basically a bushing broke and there was too much resistance on the upper rod and actual lock indicator (if that is what it is called). The lock sensed that it was being pushed down.

Take a look at all the lock levers and see if they are moving smoothly up and down, if there is one that is not that might be your problem. You will have to take the door card off and remove the lever and see if that fixes it.. Good Luck.
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:01 PM
D110
Jamie
1955 107

Registry
I'll give that a shot today - thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door