Powdercoating/Sandblasting Denver - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 12th, 2008, 11:32 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Powdercoating/Sandblasting Denver

I am looking around at places that sandblast and then powdercoat things like bumpers and tire carriers AND I was wondering if there were members here who had done this or similar and had shops that they recommend.

Thanks,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2008, 01:17 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

You can strip the powdercoat off with Permatex Gasket Remover. Spray it on, give it a few minutes and it peels right off with a putty knife. My front bumper and rear corners were just hot dipped and are now getting powder over the galvy.
In your dry environment I would just paint them, easy to touch up that way.
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:22 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
When you get them back, I'd love to see how the powder coat finish looks over the galv!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2008, 01:23 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Will post pics, should have them Friday. www.hubbellgalvanizing.com
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:30 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Aargh! I was hoping they'd be closer to the West Point area. If they are really great, then maybe I'll just load up a trailer. I need to start sleeping with a galvanizer when I get back home.

Old March 12th, 2008, 01:42 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Here is my stuff prepped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0184.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	12585   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0186.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	12586  

Old March 12th, 2008, 01:50 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Kevin -- Will the "Permatex Gasket Remover" remove regular paint as well? My sliders have a combo of powdercoat and paint from touchups, and I'd rather strip them and start fresh.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old March 12th, 2008, 02:33 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I would certainly think so, but NAPA sells a big spray can of stripper that I used on the bumper since it was painted. They smelled similiar. Wear gloves and do it outside on a calm day.
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:47 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias
I am looking around at places that sandblast and then powdercoat things like bumpers and tire carriers AND I was wondering if there were members here who had done this or similar and had shops that they recommend.

Thanks,
Alex

Premium Powder Coating Inc (303) 776-7560 8413 Rowe Pl, Frederick CO

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I had used Applied Plastics on my sliders years ago--no complaints. http://appliedplastic.com/

I should say, however, that I am done powdercoating anything that can come into contact with the ground. Now I use Krylon in a can.
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias

Thanks,
Alex
You might try Roadrunner Fabrication and Powdercoating 303-657-1233 280 E. 64th (about 58th & I-25). I've never had any powdercoating done there, only fab. work. They're good people though, and competent. If you call them, ask for Dan. Tell him Rod from Threewit says "Hi".
Old March 14th, 2008, 04:36 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I've been calling around getting quotes on the phone (ballparks really) to see what this endeavor is going to cost me. What do ya'll think would be a realistic price to pay.
Old March 14th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I paid about $30 per rims when they were coated. Can't recall on the sliders...
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:13 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

While I know all the Powder coaters I advise against it Alexandra, and Shawn does great work. But we have this chemical they put on the roads here in Colorado that is worse than salt when it comes to finishes on our vehicles called Magnesium Choride.
Now Powder coating makes an increadable seal around the metal but iff breached it will allow the moisture to "creep" underneath it.. That creeping along with the chemical mist on our Colorado roads (liquid salt) in the winter will cause rust in short order! I have seen a pair of slider's rust away in a couple years after they had been used for their intended purpose and where scratched down to the steel through the powdercoat.
Salt mist, gouged powder coat don't mix in Colorado, I paint everything and plan on maintaining it with some sandpaper, chemicals and a can of Krylon "Semi Flat" every couple of years.

Of course you could call your Congressman and complain about the MC that's also killing all the trees along the roads.. But hey it's safe enough to drink right? Just like envirotest is cleaning our Air....

This message was approved by me, only me and I take full responsability for it's contents..

Chris you coming up this weekend?

Old March 14th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I agree completely with Keith on not powdercoating. It is killing my SG sliders on the Disco and I just reshot the krylon coated ones on my 90 and they look new. I love Krylon.

Yes, Keith, I am coming up. What is better, Sat or Sun?
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:04 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Either day is fine.. I do want to get my new radius arms today as they think it may be rainy tomorrow..

Gimmie a call

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions