Powder Coating vs. Painting w/Hardener - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 7th, 2012, 10:26 AM
86' D110
Powder Coating vs. Painting w/Hardener

My powder coater tried to talk me out of powder coating my rear step bumper and instead painting it with a hardener after sandblasting and priming. While installing it, the PC chipped so now I have some exposed metal that I had to treat and paint anyway. Also, when you powder coat, if you need to repair the part and have to use body filler, then you can't bake it in the oven after the powder coat is sprayed on.

Thoughts from the experts on this board? Painting with a hardener or Powder Coating parts like rear step bumper, brake light bars, etc?

Old December 7th, 2012, 10:44 AM
72 + D1 drivetrain
I'm no expert, but power coating doesn't seem to have a place on cars for just this very reason. Once water gets under it, rust will happen.

Old December 7th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Not all paint is created equal. Neither are all powdercoats created equal.

What kind of powdercoat failed on you? Was a cross-linking powder or a straight plastic powder? What kind of either? Of course, your powdercoater will not tell you. They will powdercoat with whatever they powdercoat everything with.

Paints: Polysiloxane, Siloxane, Long-chain Alkyd, Medium-chain Alkyd, Short-chain Alkyd, Acrylic polymer, Latex polymer, Single-component Urethane, Two-component Urethane, Single-component epoxy, Two-component epoxy. Novolac, polyamide, polyamine, phenolic, coal tar and water based epoxies.

What type of paint would you like to use? I'm assuming you want indestructible paint.

The stuff used on heavy construction equipment is 2 part polyamide epoxy. Usually brushed on to create an extremely thick coating, something like 4 or 5 mils.

If you really want an indestructible finish, hot dip galvanize with 2-part epoxy topcoat is best.
Old December 8th, 2012, 08:39 PM
83 D110
good article regarding this subject:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions