Powder Coating used springs ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 17th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Powder Coating used springs ?

So does the 3-400 degree temps required to powdercoat a used spring screw up the tempering/spring rate of the steel ? I have alway painted them for that reason.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2013, 08:40 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Is there a "certain" PC that you need that is somewhat Flexible??? I don't think the heat will goof them up. A lot of very light gauge materials are PC'd and they don't warp or distort.
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:45 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

not really would have to get around 500+ for any tempering to be affected
find out how long they are going to be baked ..5 -6 hours i would be concearned bu im sure powder coaters do a 1-2 hr bake
there are also low bake powder materials approx 340 deg ask about that

the process for a automotive
springs are Hardend around 760-800 deg then Quenched
Tempering is around 400-700
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
A good shop will have a recommendation for a low temp coating (IE: Alesta that cures as low as 280 degrees) with a ~20 minute +/- low temp pre-heat, shoot with powder, bake 5-20min, and cool.

Any low temp PC that cures in 7-10 min at 350 deg or less will work. The challenge is how to hang/ground and still get complete coverage.
Old February 17th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
So does the 3-400 degree temps required to powdercoat a used spring screw up the tempering/spring rate of the steel ? I have alway painted them for that reason.
Ok so the tempering process usually takes hours and will normally take place in an oil bath at excess of 800 degrees. With PC the temp of material needs to hit around 350-400 degrees for usually no more then 10-15 minutes depending on the temp and cure time. I usually bake at 400 for 10 minutes, that is cure time not total time in the oven, now if not stated above depending on the thickness of material depends on the total oven time(it takes bigger thicker pc's longer to get to temp) that is what thermal hand helds are for. I usually preheat up to temp, then pull to spray then back in the oven until temp hits 400 degrees and then I set my timer.Also there is a huge difference between conductive(liquid) and convective(air) heating, so PC if done properly should not effect your progressive springs. PC I also flexible and there is not a specific type for springs, they do have special high heat for manifolds and exhaust, but I prefer ceramic coatings for exhaust. Similar process but different product. In conclusion you don't have to worry about PC temps affecting your progressive springs, and it will be a hell of a lot more durable than any paint.
Old February 17th, 2013, 12:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Seems like it is not as effective as just good paint (I love appliance epoxy and epoxy primer as a base coat after treating with rust converter).

Ron

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions