possible heater mod - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 21st, 2011, 11:03 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
possible heater mod

hi guys, so i have been reading exhaustively all the heater threads (been real cold in omaha!) I thought of this. Some threads talked about mods to essentially relocate the heater intake into the cabin to re-circulate the air so the heater does not have to heat up the cold outside air. Has anyone used like a hole saw to make a few holes in the plastic box that goes from the wingtop to the heater, then blocked off the vent on the wing top? Wouldn't this now redirect the air coming in to the heater from the outside but under the hood where the engine is heating the air? Does this make sense? What do you all think? I might try this, then when summer hits, put plugs in the holes and unblock the vent on the wingtop.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2011, 11:11 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Have you tried checking the cable per Amityd90 from this thread?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28843
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:12 AM
2yellowlabs
Rob
92 RRC, 99 DII, 06 LR3, 09 LR2

You would then be potentially sucking exhaust gases and everything else that leaks and burns off under the hood like oil, PS fluid, coolant, etc into the cabin. Bad idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantone View Post
Has anyone used like a hole saw to make a few holes in the plastic box that goes from the wingtop to the heater, then blocked off the vent on the wing top? Wouldn't this now redirect the air coming in to the heater from the outside but under the hood where the engine is heating the air? Does this make sense? What do you all think? I might try this, then when summer hits, put plugs in the holes and unblock the vent on the wingtop.

thanks

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2011, 11:25 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
yep, check the cable and all is good. good point on the exhaust gas etc, that would stink things up pretty well! I am just trying to make it work a bit better without having to pull out the heater, increase hole in bulkhead etc. That will wait until summer when it is alot warmer to work on it! You know, just a few simple quick fixes.

thanks gentlemen!
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:25 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You can't recirculate all of the air or else you will fog up. You need some fresh air.

You should first make sure your heater is setup properly. They are not bad when setup.

1) Make sure the engine thermostat does not leak. There should be no warm water in the upper hose until normal operating temperature is reached.

2) Check that the hot/cold flap (on top of box) is tight to the hot side.

3) Make sure the lower vent flaps are opening.
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:31 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
yep, check them and all is good. i did notice however at the intake on the wingtop some air was being pushed out when it is on and running on high. this tells me that something may be plugged up inside such as the heater core or something. I would imagine if it is all flowing freely and correctly, the wingtop vent would only be sucking in air, kinda of like a weak vacum cleaner. Make sense?
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:08 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

A nice piece of cardboard in front of the radiator makes it warm up better over here in Des Moines

Leave a couple of 5x7" holes in it for air and it's seemed just fine.

...entirely too lazy to pull the heater assembly and "adjust" the bulkhead. Winter is what the Disco is for....
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The biggest problem I have is that at speed the soft top pumps air in and out which makes the heater not do much to get the interior warm. In a SW I am sure it would be fine for all but the coldest places.
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:24 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
The biggest problem I have is that at speed the soft top pumps air in and out which makes the heater not do much to get the interior warm. In a SW I am sure it would be fine for all but the coldest places.
x2. At lower speeds I'm sweating, but at higher speeds the heat just goes everywhere else.
Old January 21st, 2011, 03:45 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
I had a heater that sucks air from the interior. It worked well and no fog. The trick is to use a different motor side.. Let say you have a LHD truck. Use a LHD heater box with a RHD blower. That way your blower air intake is going to be closer to the bulkhead. Cut a 3" hole in the passenger foots well. Use a 3" flexible tubing from a dryer (home appliance store should be able to sell it). Then connect the tubing from the foots well to the blower. I used a plastic 3" plate , that usually goes at the exit if the dryer tubing to prevent back draft to come into your house, at the foots well to help connect the tubing. Heats up more fast and in my experience Defender are not that air tight, so no fogging problems!
Old January 21st, 2011, 05:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Sounds like you getting no air flow. Check the air shutoff valve (side of heater box) and make sure it is open.

If that is OK, then pull the heater and take the core out for a looksee. It is a pretty quick and simple job.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Just replaced my heater yesterday (half day project).

It's not rocket science just a PITA and took time. I've sure there must be threads detailing the process. If not, I'm happy to describe.

The biggest pain is the two screws at the top bulkhead. These are a bitch to remove as space is cramped. Some have suggested removing the hood for easier access but this is not necessary. You will need stubby (short) 13mm wrench for that part. The two screws at the bottom are easy.

The matrix seems to "go bad" in a lot of these either from internal or external blockage or both. Also, the external and internal weatherstripping and padding seem to disintegrate and also may be nonfunctional.

Agree with all said by everyone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater, mod