Portal axles! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 7th, 2004, 04:18 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Portal axles!

If I had to put some under the 90, which one should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

How did I miss this post? If you are staying with under 44s and a under 300hp I say 404 unimog if you are going with 52s then Unimog 1300s but if you stick with your 37" tires then the Volvo 303s should be good. When are ya gonna do it?
Old May 19th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You going to be staying on the street or trailer?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 19th, 2004, 05:57 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
WHY
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

WHY?! WHY!? Uh, maybe it's the 6 inch improvement in ground clearance. Thats like going from a 37in tire to a 49in tire! It could be the 1/2 reduction in drive train stress, or the lower gearing, or the elimination of adverse driveline angles from a big lift. Did I mention there damn tough? Your killig me Mike!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Thsi should give you an idea:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mog9.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	675  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:23 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:53 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Wow, how did you find this thread. I posted this thread long time ago but never came through. I thought maybe something was wrong with the website.

As for why, I don't know. I just like to try new stuff, sometimes I do it and some times I don't.
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

HMMM, I can't see how I missed it. It was posted between 2 threads I responded to. Maybe just a fluke?
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry

Wow! I did some reading on the portal axles awhile back but never really seen them quite like the picture you took. That picture says a lot....Damn!!!! Are those 37s or 44s?

Old May 20th, 2004, 10:29 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I think they are the 40" rock spiders.

Hey David, is that a 9" mog hybrid?
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

The tires are 40 in MT/r's. Those are mog 404 outers and 9in true High pinion. That is the best of both worlds. You can get r+p as low as 2.62, I believe, to keep the truck streetable. I want one of these things real bad. With 35 spline axles, that thing will handle 50in tires.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:56 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Those portal boxes have some VERY low gearing huh?

I wonder if I can adjust my coil over hight to make it work with the mog 404's.
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Depends on what height you are trying to get to. The gearing is very low. If you choose to make a mog9 you can get around it but if you use straight 404's you will be up in the 6 range. You need to run 44 in tires to pull it off on the street. Or regear your t-case. These things come with a 6in lift built in so if you stuck them under your rtuck right now you would be looking at a 9in lift give or take. Thats about the right hight for 42's. I do not know what height you are going for but when I set up my coil's up front, they sit about 1in below the top of the hood, are adjusted ALL the way down to minimum ride height and even have a short upper spring and I still have almost a 4in lift in the front. Good luck

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Dave Stop saying things like 42 and 404 and 6" of lift. Ugh I need a second Job so I can buy some 42s and 404s.
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You and me both Mike. I want to build a rover tube buggy with these bad boys under it!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
A 90 is probably not the best choice. Youd' want more wheelbase. Unless you like rolling aver backwards. I always thought a bobtailed 110 would work nice.
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I thought about this too, but I would much rather stretch a 90. Pull the rear tires back 10 inches and move the front forward 3 to give you a total wheel base of 107. I think 108 is the best in most situations but one inch won't matter. Then you could fit big old tires in there with a dovetailed front and rear truck. No that would be smoking!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:16 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

I thought about moving my axles but the rear gas tank limit me from doing that. I probably can move the rear 1.5" and the the front 2" but I don't think it's worth the trouble.

I agree with you John. If I end up doing a portal it won't be in my 90 frame, too short.
Old May 20th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Yeah, for a couple inches there is no point. The front would be helpful though.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle