Portable Heaters.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 15th, 2005, 11:54 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

Portable Heaters....

Does anyone know of a decent portable auxiliary heater on the market? I am looking for one that will plug into the cig lighter.

Every winter I am reminded of how much my heater suxs...two speeds...cold...and colder!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2005, 08:48 AM
jabber
m j

Check out the Jan 05 issue of LROI. Page 62 has aux heaters.... I've been thinking of getting one of 'em; not sure which, as I just started looking. Hope that helps.
Old January 16th, 2005, 10:01 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Get yourself a drop curtain from Art Vigil and take the plastic cover things off of the heater vents and you should be fine. I stay toasty here in single-digit northern O-f'ng-hio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2005, 10:41 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Sure, these will help. Do the obvious: clear your intake grille of snow and ice.

What I am looking forward to doing is: remove the plastic intake from the fender and fit a tube running to a hole in the cabin, probably through the seatbox. Presto, recirculated air!. Just put some distance between the exhaust vents and the intake.

I originally had a more complex design with a cable operated flap at the motor intake to select between recirculated and fresh air, with another tube heading toward the front grille. However, I only run the heater for heat so don't need this setup. If you want fresh air just open the front vents - less wear on the heater motor.

Can't wait until summer to do this!
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:38 PM
bugula
Keith DuFresne
'94 AA Yellow 90

another suggestion to go with Phil's above is to grab a rad muff and put it on during the cold months. getting that engine warmer quicker helps get the cabin heated too.
Old January 29th, 2005, 12:24 PM
mrmuddy
John Cranfield
1989 90

heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshea
Does anyone know of a decent portable auxiliary heater on the market? I am looking for one that will plug into the cig lighter.

Every winter I am reminded of how much my heater suxs...two speeds...cold...and colder!
You have to think of how much current the cig light will carry....the short answer is not enough.
Any electric heater that will run throught the lighter won't give any useable amount of heat. It would be nice to repeal some of the laws of physics
On the other hand your heater needs checking out as they can give decent heat.

John
Old January 30th, 2005, 12:32 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

heater? You live in LA. Try getting into your truck when its 5F outside. I love the winters in NY!
Old January 30th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
As stated, first I would look at the system. The stock heater in my 90 is better than most cars. I have no problem staying warm in -40. I have insulated a lot more than factory which makes a difference. For most of the 90, I have 1" of insualtion. There are a few things you should look at.

1) Make sure the cables are properly adjusted to give full heat.

2) Open up the plastic heat deflectors. In stock form they restrict air flow. Many people remove them. I have modified them.

3) Look behind the plastic deflectors. Sometimes the sealing foam detaches from the door and blocks the hole.

4) Make sure the heater core is in good shape.

An electric heater won't do much as there is very little electrical power available. You could fit a second coolant run heater. There are all sorts available.

This photo is from the thermometer in my 90 from a couple of weeks back.
http://members.shaw.ca/red90/My%20heater%20works.jpg
Old January 30th, 2005, 11:52 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I agree. My heater has always performed well - and I haven't touched the plastic caps.

Remove the plastic intake and reroute a hose to recirculate air from the cabin. You no longer have to worry about water, snow or ice collecting there and trashing your blower motor plus you're getting more efficient heating. Look, if you want fresh air use the vents - why have your blower running just for fresh air?

Forget electrics - especially through the cigarette lighter!
Old January 30th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You can not run 100% recirculation. You would fog up in minutes. Opening the vent in -40 is not exactly an option. Like I said, first make sure your heating system is adjusted properly. Then add a seconf coolant based heater. They only cost around $100. In a NAS90, you can put it in the right seat box.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater