Portable 12v air compressor options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 4th, 2007, 12:53 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

Portable 12v air compressor options

I've been looking at air compressor options.

I've used a buddies portable compressor that connected directly to the battery terminals - it seemed to work well - but would be a pain to use in the D90.

I am looking for a quality plug in (cig lighter) type.
or maybe even go for an onboard type.

I'd prefer not to go the CO2 route.

Looks like there are a ton cheap import products out there - I'd like to buy quality or one that has a proven track record.

So what are folks using?

Thanks.
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Most every cheap 12V compressor I have ever seen for under $200 are crap. Probably the only ones that I would get if I were in the market would be something like Oasis or Viair. There may be others.
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:50 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmd
I've been looking at air compressor options.

I've used a buddies portable compressor that connected directly to the battery terminals - it seemed to work well - but would be a pain to use in the D90.

I am looking for a quality plug in (cig lighter) type.
or maybe even go for an onboard type.

I'd prefer not to go the CO2 route.

Looks like there are a ton cheap import products out there - I'd like to buy quality or one that has a proven track record.

So what are folks using?
Thanks.
Paul
Hey Paul,

The trouble is that any air compressor that is going to be of high quality, decent duty cycle and move a decent amount of air volume is going to be fairly large, heavy and draw too much current to be plugged into a cigarette lighter. Keep in mind that the VOLUME of air the compressor moves at specified pressures is much more important that the max pressure rating, whether it be for inflating tires or running pneumatic tools. If you want something truly portable, this is about the best compressor set-up I have seen, but again, it uses jumper cable clips to attach to the battery (though you could replace with a high capacity plug like portable winch systems use)…

http://www.readyair.com/port.htm -- It moves 1.1 cfm at 75 PSI, and draws a max of 30 amps, and weighs 34 lbs, it is pretty well built. It also comes "bundled" in a sturdy wood box with a pressure switch, pressure relief valve, activation solenoid and air filter, and power cables, making it a true ready to go package. If you go with the onboard version, it is the same set-up, but mounted on a nice strudy steel plate making it pretty easy to bolt in and go.

I use this compressor mounted onboard, and it does a pretty respectable job given its size (I've attached a photo of it mounted with dual optima's in the Driver's side battery box below, nothing is connected because the photo was during the "mock-up" phase).

There are much more formidable electric onboard compressors now from Oasis (http://www.oasisoffroad.com/products.html) and others that rival some engine driven compressors, but they draw some serious amperage, and require considerably more space than the Ready Air (though you benefit in much greater performance).

If you don’t have A/C, or don’t use you’re A/C you could always go with an engine driven York or Saden (sp?) style air compressor (or convert an A/C compressor for use as an air compressor). This is by far the most robust and best performing option, but you asked about portables, right? Getting a bit off topic here..

If you are looking for a solid portable solution, the Ready Air is pretty hard to beat (at least from what I have seen). Stay away from the cigarette lighter plug compressors, they will just frustrate you and die early deaths…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ready-AIR.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	8899  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2007, 02:27 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Any idea what the ready air portable setup costs?
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:55 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

If buying a compressor look for a 100% duty cycle. anything less will have you limping home someday.

ARB commpressors are not 100% duty cycle, and the brush springs burned up after inflating 4 tires continous running of about 45 min.
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:25 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I'd also recommend the Extremeaire. I've been using this for a few months and works very nicely.
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I've been eyeing these on Ebay as an onboard option for my 110. Anyone have any experience? They're 100% duty cycle with a good cfm output and only a 30amp draw...looks pretty good esp. for the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3586038&rd=1,1
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
For electrics, Viair http://www.viaircorp.com/productmain.html seem to make a quality product that can be purchased quite cost effectively. Look at the 300 and 400 series. There are lots of online retailers and you can find them used fairly often.

If you have the space under the hood and some fabrication skills, engine driven is much cheaper and will give more air flow. $20 for the compressor, some home made brackets and $5 for a belt got a York running on mine.
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Spectre
Stephen
'76 SIII Lightweight

I found a compressor at K-Mart called TruckAir that had a cigarette lighter plug that I have been using for a year now.

It cost $38 and all the parts are supposed to be three times the size of a regular air compressor.

I had no problem filling up 245/75/R16s in a few minutes each. Good product at a good price.

This is what it looks like
http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodrevi...ruckair300.htm
Old April 5th, 2007, 04:21 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Thanks for all the info - gonna look into the on board options..
Old April 8th, 2007, 11:00 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Here's a link to a couple compressor articles:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...pressor_guide/
http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodrevi...flatormain.htm
Old April 8th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Good Info, Thanks!
Old April 8th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Davis M
HDM
'93 Defender 110

Are there any problems with locating a compressor inside the battery box the way Scott T was able to do with his dual battery set-up? That seems like a great use of space but I'm curious if there's a safety issue. Many of these compressors get up to 225-250 deg F when inflating tires. Seems to me that a 100% duty cycle unit combined with a couple dead beat trail buddies who use your equipment to air up at the end of the day might make for a pretty toasty battery compartment. Are the battery cases durable enough to keep from melting under that kind of use? Thx.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
compressor