porous block issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 24th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Hey Rob, would a porous block casting actually leak oil? I have never seen one, but it does not seem intuitive to have oil leak out of something so small. How do you check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Chris,
You have to visually inspect the block. The ones I have seen were obviously coming through the casting and not from any of the 'usual suspects'. Porous blocks can leak oil or coolant depending on where the porosity is. It is more likely if the fluids in question are under pressure. They can sometimes be fixed by 1) welding, 2) epoxy, 3)wicking loctite (green), or replacing the block. This was more of a problem on the later D2s. I replaced several blocks under warranty for this.
Rob
Old May 24th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Thanks Rob. The reason that I ask is that I have been battling that slipped cylinder/porous block issue and I really have no clue what it "porous block" means. When someone says I have a porous block and leak exhaust gases into the coolant, I think well hell, it would have to be the cylinder sleeve and the block that is porous or that the sleeve has slipped and I have a porous block on top of a slipped cylinder. Could you shed some light on that? Sorry about the hijack, but it is sort of still on topic! ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Seemed like it makes a good post all on it's own so I split it from the other one
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Thanks Mike!--I was debating starting a new post altogether but I knew how much you love to do that sort of stuff!
Old May 24th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The best way I can think to explain a porous block would be to think of cheese.

Now, your regular american, cheddar, bleu, whatever. Nice solid block of cheese.
But that swiss has all the big holes in it. Imagine in a few of those holes get connected together!

Kinda an extreme, and stupid, analogy... but the concept is the same. It's a metalurgical issue due to something in the casting process and probably related to a change in alloy for the aluminum is my guess. What you end up with is a block of metal that can actually allow thin enough liquids to pass through.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:15 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I think there are more blocks with cracks low on the liner then actual porus block. That is what I would be looking for with a pressure test. A guy(or gal) could pressure test in the truck with the oil pan off to find this problem.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions