Pop it To Start it? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 15th, 2012, 09:54 PM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

Pop it To Start it?

This morning when I hopped into my 1995 D90 with 138,000 miles on it and I turned the key and the engine did not start. Once before this happened but NOTHING worked that time (it was like the battery was dead- but I suspect it was the key cylinder- and this has not happened since) Today what happened as the bells went off and the crazy lights on the dash came on, radio worked, but no engine.

When I was young I worked in a auto shop (but they just worked on Japanese cars). So I know to listen for the starter selanoide or some other starter type 'whine"- but there was nothing: no clicking, no werwering, no whineing, nothing- just the radio (which I turned off so I could tried again).

If this was a Honda I would know where to start- but I have never worked on a D90 as of yet. So here is my question: so what can I do/ where do I start?

I know my Dad suggested to hit/tap the starter with a hammer and see if that would jar anything loose. But I wanted some feedback to see what the D-90 community thought?

Oh yea! One thing I left out. This morning I put it in reverse and rolled it down the driveway and when I popped the clitch the car fired up like a champ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Raz
Leif
1994 90 ST #1589

Registry
I think you are probably right with your first thought, ignition switch. I haven't had this happen, but it sounds like its either that or starter solenoid or bad connection somewhere.
Old June 16th, 2012, 06:55 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Take the switch out and feel the play.. It happened to me last summer, not a big job to do nor expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

------ Follow up post added June 16th, 2012 06:58 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover
Take the switch out and feel the play.. It happened to me last summer, not a big job to do nor expensive. But if I remember right, the engine stalled as well. It cuts the fuel solenoid on the pump so no fuel! I guess it should do the same on a gas engine (distributor) ?

Advertisement

Old June 17th, 2012, 01:33 AM
petminded
David

Thanks. I was thinking it was the switch, but what made me vote against that therory was 2 fold: 1- when I roll the car and drop it into grear to start it then it runs fine after it is started. 2- would I get other power on the car if it was the ignition switch? Right now when I turn the key everying comes on but the motor doesn't do anything and no sound from the starter.

So do you still think its the ignition switch?
Old June 17th, 2012, 08:23 AM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
I doubt it (even if it's lucas electric). Is your starter solenoid woking properly? Check the connection on you starter. Is this a v8 or a four potter? If it's possible to get to the starter try it with a screw driver (unfortunately on a 200tdi you don't even see the starter!). If the starter motor has failed, getting a new one or a rebuild is cheap. But check all wires before buying anything. I once had the positive lead going to the starter get loose and even if it was only moving a small bit it was enough to spark once and then... No more electricity to the starter. Tighten it up back and vrouummm!!

Old June 17th, 2012, 03:23 PM
petminded
David

its the 3.9 gasoline engine. I have not crawled under it yet (will do in about 20 min) but could not see the starter from the top. I assume I can find it easliiy from below??

From My Androide
Old June 17th, 2012, 04:58 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
yep.
Old June 17th, 2012, 05:30 PM
petminded
David

So I wne to crawl under but first I tried to start it. Sputtered once (more than it did before) and second try it fired up. LOL!
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:04 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Could be switch or starter ... Solenoid will only clunk if it has reset ... If its stuck then it wont. Generally hitting the starter will reset it ...

On the other hand the ignition switches are prone to failure and if it's not working reliably at the last position then that would also demonstrate the same symptoms.

If I were a gambler ... I'd go with starter motor ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start