Poor idle on RRC - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 12th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Don't waste your money on any additives. How many miles on this motor?

I would do a compression check and watch the ignition timing for a bit. You probably need a new cam, lifters, distributor gear, timing set, and a complete decoke along with refreshed or new injectors if you really want that to smooth out.

The additives won't do shit for you. Try scrubbing all that carbon off the internal parts of a motor and you will get a sense of the futility of thinking that a thimble full per gallon of additive will accomplish anything. BTDT.

Don't check the flame trap...replace it. The tee is supposed to have the brass fitting. If you take it out, you create vacuum leak after the MAF.

The Atlantic British website instructions are wrong, they leave out the step where you plug both ends of (or clamp shut depending on how old and dry rotted it is) the hose between the plenum throttle body and the IACV port. BTDT too!

I should let them know about that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2016, 11:20 AM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Don't waste your money on any additives. How many miles on this motor? I would do a compression check and watch the ignition timing for a bit. You probably need a new cam, lifters, distributor gear, timing set, and a complete decoke along with refreshed or new injectors if you really want that to smooth out. The additives won't do shit for you. Try scrubbing all that carbon off the internal parts of a motor and you will get a sense of the futility of thinking that a thimble full per gallon of additive will accomplish anything. BTDT. Don't check the flame trap...replace it. The tee is supposed to have the brass fitting. If you take it out, you create vacuum leak after the MAF. The Atlantic British website instructions are wrong, they leave out the step where you plug both ends of (or clamp shut depending on how old and dry rotted it is) the hose between the plenum throttle body and the IACV port. BTDT too! I should let them know about that...
If it needs all that I'll live with it. I'm just used to driving a 2015 truck daily that is perfect on idle obviously.

146k miles. Head gaskets replaced less than 10k ago. Not sure what else was done at that time.

Gonna check alternator as I kinda see a flicker in idle when any electrical pull happens, i.e. ABS pump.

Thanks for suggestions.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old May 12th, 2016, 12:13 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Drive it! that t-piece looks suspect.
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2016, 12:24 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

In my experience the dying alternator is actually the voltage regulator going which eventually fries the Ignition Module. And most alternator shops don't test the regulator. And a good number of "rebuilt" alternators have suspect voltage regulators anyway. The workshop manual has a procedure for testing the ignition system, you might try running through that. Does it have the remote module kit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 12th, 2016, 12:27 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Drive it! that t-piece looks suspect.
What makes you say that? I cleaned it out, isn't broken. The brass fitting is strange though.
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old May 12th, 2016, 12:33 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Ive never seen a Rover t-piece with that little brass doohickey sticking up like the one you posted the photo of.

finally watched the video, look and sounds smoooothhhh
Old May 12th, 2016, 12:38 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Ive never seen a Rover t-piece with that little brass doohickey sticking up like the one you posted the photo of. finally watched the video, look and sounds smoooothhhh
I thought that brass piece was also strange but apparently it serves a purpose. It's hard to tell from video, you feel more of the bad idle than hear/see.

Taking it up to Drew tonight. He can surely figure it out.
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old May 13th, 2016, 08:01 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Ahh, be sure and report your findings
Old June 21st, 2016, 06:46 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Had Classic at the shop to do some work, and they looked at the idle. Tech said the choppy idle is common but worked to try and pinpoint it. Put new AICV in, and set the base idle. Idle is still choppy especially when in park. Engine light has not come back on with code 48 since replacement and base idle reset (150 miles).
Tech said I could start throwing money at ignition parts, ect but it may not change. No issue with alternator.

I've swapped most hoses out to rule out vacuum leak. Cleaned flame trap. Checked for cracked hoses where I didn't replace. I did not replace the main hose with MAF. No change. Maybe I just haven't found the hose that's the issue.

My only thoughts are:

1. Swap out ECU to see if a different one makes any difference.

2. Remove power wire from electric fan set up from coil. Could this power draw cause distributor power interruption resulting in poor idle? Not sure why it was wired this way.

3. Fuel filter?

4. Live with it.

When driving there is no issue, when stopped at a stoplight its noticeable. When in park it's really noticeable. Never stalls or shuts off. I noticed when driving my D90 it kinda idles rough but not as bad as the classic.
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old June 21st, 2016, 07:26 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Do these trucks have a flapper style afm? If so possibly remove the cover and move the copper sensing element a few mm up or down on the shaft so it contacts a different area on the contact strip.

Common issue on early bmw/Porsche engines.
Old June 21st, 2016, 07:57 PM
MisterSHO
David K
87 110, 95 RRC

Did the new stepper help at all? That ended up being my issue.
Old June 21st, 2016, 08:16 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSHO View Post
Did the new stepper help at all? That ended up being my issue.
Not that I noticed.
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old June 21st, 2016, 08:30 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
Had Classic at the shop to do some work, and they looked at the idle. Tech said the choppy idle is common but worked to try and pinpoint it. Put new AICV in, and set the base idle. Idle is still choppy especially when in park. Engine light has not come back on with code 48 since replacement and base idle reset (150 miles).
Tech said I could start throwing money at ignition parts, ect but it may not change. No issue with alternator.

I've swapped most hoses out to rule out vacuum leak. Cleaned flame trap. Checked for cracked hoses where I didn't replace. I did not replace the main hose with MAF. No change. Maybe I just haven't found the hose that's the issue.

My only thoughts are:

1. Swap out ECU to see if a different one makes any difference.

2. Remove power wire from electric fan set up from coil. Could this power draw cause distributor power interruption resulting in poor idle? Not sure why it was wired this way.

3. Fuel filter?

4. Live with it.

When driving there is no issue, when stopped at a stoplight its noticeable. When in park it's really noticeable. Never stalls or shuts off. I noticed when driving my D90 it kinda idles rough but not as bad as the classic.
Are you saying Drew couldn't fix it ?

------ Follow up post added June 21st, 2016 08:32 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
Do these trucks have a flapper style afm? If so possibly remove the cover and move the copper sensing element a few mm up or down on the shaft so it contacts a different area on the contact strip.

Common issue on early bmw/Porsche engines.
Hitachi/Lucas hot wire afm

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 21st, 2016, 11:46 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I doubt highly that your issue is anything related to the ECU. If it's getting fuel then you can probably rule that out. Look for horses not unicorns.
You don't mention whether you had your alternator tested.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 22nd, 2016, 06:45 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
Not that I noticed.
It could still be a stepper issue. I cleaned then ended up replacing mine when it started idling high (1000-1200 rpm). The new no-name big box replacement idled too low (~500 rpm) constantly catching itself from stalling. Drove fine, but when approaching a stop, it died a few times as it was trying to maintain a constant idle. Just like you are describing. After a few months I paid $50 for a 'new' NOS Lucas stepper here (It happened to be used. The only thing new was the box and wax paper it was rolled up in) and it works perfectly. Solved everything. Still holds a rock solid idle a few years later.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 06:55 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
His last post says he replaced stepper motor

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 22nd, 2016, 07:14 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
His last post says he replaced stepper motor
Saw that. I replaced mine with new and it created the same issues Matt is describing. I replaced a second time, and presto.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
idle