Poor braking - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 25th, 2012, 03:00 PM
floatflyer
Bryan Krill
'95 D90 wagon

Poor braking

I have a '95 NAS '90 SW and I'm experiencing poor braking when you apply the them for a quick /panic stop from normal highway speed. The pedal doesen't fade away but the brake effectiveness goes away. I pulled the wheels and pads and they looked very good, but I noticed the rear discs had surface rust on them and the pads looked like they were new. The manual shows a g-valve in the system, not sure if this the equivalent of a purportioning valve, and I suspect this may be the culprit. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2012, 03:16 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
have you checked your fluid? fresh fluid helps.

if the rear discs have rust and pitting ... likely they are not working well, despite how they look. maybe the PO replaced pads but not the disks?

I'm also about to change my rubber brake hose lines for braided ... the rubber ones degrade over the years and can expand under braking ... this reduces the brake effectiveness.

Generally a defender brakes are pretty decent if everything is in good condition.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 25th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Check the pressure reducing valve below the heater box. I have had a couple of D90s through the shop with poor braking that ended up having stuck valves. Like yours, the rear brakes showed signs of no wear on the parts. To check, try bleeding the brakes. In both cases it was almost impossible to get fluid flow through the rear calipers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2012, 08:24 PM
floatflyer
Bryan Krill
'95 D90 wagon

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing next, I'll try bleeding the whole system but I'll do the rear first.

Thanks!
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

You should be changing your fluid every couple of years, or at least when the fluid is darker than tea.

With the right tool, a Mity-Vac, this is a one man job.

Yes, do the rears 1st, as they are the farthest from the brake fluid reservoir, suck out all the old fluid in the reservoir 1st and fill it with new. Use DOT 4 fluid.

Then use a Mity-Vac to suck clean fluid to each wheel bleeder. Be sure to keep the reservoir full as to keep from sucking air into the system.
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:29 AM
floatflyer
Bryan Krill
'95 D90 wagon

Thanks Dennis, I have such a tool.
Old February 26th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Then use a Mity-Vac to suck clean fluid to each wheel bleeder. Be sure to keep the reservoir full as to keep from sucking air into the system.
Pressure bleeding is better, IMO.
Old February 27th, 2012, 09:55 AM
floatflyer
Bryan Krill
'95 D90 wagon

Well the ole Mighty Vac is not so mighty anymore. Not surprised, haven't used it in over 20years. Ordered a Motive power bleeder yesterday and will report back with results.
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
For forcing through the possibly plugged valve, turn on the engine and use the brake pedal.... That is a 1000+ psi.... The pressure bleeder is 20 psi....

If it does not get through with the pedal pressure, it will need to come apart.
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:23 PM
floatflyer
Bryan Krill
'95 D90 wagon

Well, power bled the brakes today. I tried the rear first and couldn't get any fluid through and even tried the engine on and using the foot pedal method with no results. The front brakes bled fine. Does anyone know if the pressure regulating valve is a servicable part? My book doesn't even mention this valve it only refers to a G valve. If the valve is not serviable, does anyone know a good source to purchase a new one?

Thanks in advance--Bryan
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:57 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatflyer View Post
Well the ole Mighty Vac is not so mighty anymore. Not surprised, haven't used it in over 20years. Ordered a Motive power bleeder yesterday and will report back with results.
Which Motive did you order? The 0100?
http://www.motiveproducts.com/catalo...eder--0100.htm
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 1st, 2012, 09:28 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Which Motive did you order? The 0100?
http://www.motiveproducts.com/catalo...eder--0100.htm
Yes, the 0100 or if you want a little nicer the 0109, http://www.motiveproducts.com/catalo...eder--0109.htm
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:29 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatflyer View Post
Well, power bled the brakes today. I tried the rear first and couldn't get any fluid through and even tried the engine on and using the foot pedal method with no results. The front brakes bled fine. Does anyone know if the pressure regulating valve is a servicable part? My book doesn't even mention this valve it only refers to a G valve. If the valve is not serviable, does anyone know a good source to purchase a new one?

Thanks in advance--Bryan
I would try taking it out and blowing back through it. I've no idea how they are built but it is worth a try.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:36 AM
floatflyer
Bryan Krill
'95 D90 wagon

I ordered the Motive 0100 set up for 45mm caps. Seemed to work fine when I purged the front brakes. I'm going to pull the valve tomorrow and see what I can find. More later.

------ Follow up post added March 1st, 2012 09:38 PM ------

PS... I ordered the Motive from Summit Racing, it was $59.41 shipped. I got it in two days.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:51 PM
floatflyer
Bryan Krill
'95 D90 wagon

Well problem solved. It turned out to be the Balance valve also known as perportioning valve. When I took it apart it was obvious it was out of adjustment and was totally closed off to passing any fluid to the rear brakes. A penny is worth something these days cause that's what I used to adjust the valve. If you ever have to take one apart it's quite a simple device. Anyway thanks to all who responded!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions